Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trying to bring this to Boost Mobile, but no data connection

Tip us?

jeffersonbenson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Sign [Q] Trying to bring this to Boost Mobile, but no data connection

So my father handed me his Galaxy S3 from Sprint and explained that he wanted it switched over to Boost Mobile because he had been having contract difficulties. Nevertheless, I've sucessfully rooted it and switched over the ROM to the stock Boost ROM and had begun changing over the APN data. I'd found a copy of the Boost APN settings and was able to restore that .xml file to the phone to get standard phone calls and text messages to work on the phone.
From this point forward is where things get complicated. I can not seem to get data and mms to work and have tried everything to get it to work. I've tried the ##72786# and the only thing it seems to do is reboot the phone and require that I re input the PTN and MSID. The phone itself is running KitKat currently and has the NDC version of the stock Boost ROM. Any insight as to how I can get this phone ready to go with at least 3G? (LTE's not really a thing here) Thansk!
Jefferson
PS The network name is called Samsung for what it's worth. Not sure if that has to do with anything.

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonbenson View Post
So my father handed me his Galaxy S3 from Sprint and explained that he wanted it switched over to Boost Mobile because he had been having contract difficulties. Nevertheless, I've sucessfully rooted it and switched over the ROM to the stock Boost ROM and had begun changing over the APN data. I'd found a copy of the Boost APN settings and was able to restore that .xml file to the phone to get standard phone calls and text messages to work on the phone.
From this point forward is where things get complicated. I can not seem to get data and mms to work and have tried everything to get it to work. I've tried the ##72786# and the only thing it seems to do is reboot the phone and require that I re input the PTN and MSID. The phone itself is running KitKat currently and has the NDC version of the stock Boost ROM. Any insight as to how I can get this phone ready to go with at least 3G? (LTE's not really a thing here) Thansk!
Jefferson
PS The network name is called Samsung for what it's worth. Not sure if that has to do with anything.
You can't simply change it over to Boost by putting a boost rom on it. You have to call Boost and get them to switch the phone over. You don't have data because your phone isn't on a phone plan . Call boost and get the phone activated and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeffersonbenson
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76 View Post
You can't simply change it over to Boost by putting a boost rom on it. You have to call Boost and get them to switch the phone over. You don't have data because your phone isn't on a phone plan . Call boost and get the phone activated and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
I'm so sorry but I may have under-explained this situation. I grabbed the ESN and MSID from a donor phone that we had laying around, and wrote them to the S3 using a combination of DFS and CDMA Workshop. The ESN from the donor phone was then registered to Boost Mobile and everything went smoothly until I tried to grab for data. This would be the problem that I'm facing. Calling boost might work, but I'd have to be careful what I say lest they be on to my evil schemes (lol). What I believe it needs is a data profile update, since I'm not too sure I've programmed it in ##DATA# properly. Alas I'm trying to look for a workaround so that I can get into the phones menu and connect to the Boost Mobile Data network, but I'm kinda lost as to direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffersonbenson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]