Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,672 Members 39,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 'Teaching' the auto-correct?

Tip us?

Hazarath
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Tutorial [Q] 'Teaching' the auto-correct?

So, I have a new keyboard phone, the LG Enact. I had an Moto Razr M, and while it was a good phone, the screen was a bit too tiny. I could not type that well on it. Long story short, the new phone, the Enact, has a few issues with it's auto-correct.

And, please, don't ask me to simply turn it off. I dun type shorthand, and I like my words to be spelled... at least halfway correct.

So, with my Razr, if I typed a word, and the phone corrected my spelling, all you would simply have to do is tap delete once, and the phone would revert to whatever I typed, and would even underscore the word. If I wanted to be free of ever seeing the underscore again, I'd simply tap the word on the screen, and add it to my dictionary.

This new phone... well, needless to say, the software needs help.

The Enact reminds me of... I donno, just evil. Lemme give an example. I would type 'same' and it actually tried to replace it with 'sname'. You think, 'Hey, I just tap backspace, and it'll fix itself.' ..no, it doesn't. You have to tap delete to wipe out the word, and re-type it your way... only to auto correct it -again- as soon as you tap space. The only way to fix it is to back out of the messenger app, go over to Settings>Input>Dictionary, and add the word, then go back to the conversation, then it'll allow you to type the word you meant in the first place.

I am wondering, like, with some Windows software, you can add a configuration file, or the like, and it'll read it, changing the way it understands what you type, or at least learn from you, something. I would love to get something like that on my phone.

I did try a new app called 'User Dictionary Plus' that simply imports how you send to other people, but, the aggression of that auto-correct is -very- frustrating.

So, any advice? Any ideas how I could get my phone to be a little more... I donno, humanized? I would just install something random else from the Play store, but, the hardware keyboard is a dying breed... I rather not spend hours, and likely cash, just to get a keyboard that doesn't work with it. I am sure someone out there uses a hardware keyboard that knows a solution. Please help!

-Haz

Hazarath
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bumping; it's been over 24 hours. Anyone?

-Haz