OP CdTDroiD

26th June 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 3,580

3,501 posts
Donate to Me
Hey peeps.

Was looking at these boards online, does anyone here really use them? If so do you find them usefull for developing ROMs?

Ive never used them before but it looks pretty interesting.

As I understand you could build an Android ROM and boot it up on an SD Card installed in the board plugged into a TV?

Is there any benifit using these over an actual device? Apart from the odd bricking lol
26th June 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,655

2,297 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdTDroiD

Hey peeps.

Was looking at these boards online, does anyone here really use them? If so do you find them usefull for developing ROMs?

Ive never used them before but it looks pretty interesting.

As I understand you could build an Android ROM and boot it up on an SD Card installed in the board plugged into a TV?

Is there any benifit using these over an actual device? Apart from the odd bricking lol

I have an engineering buddy who owns a Beagle Board specially the Beagle Bone black and he used it to follow along with a lot of the free-electrons training material, he loved it learned a lot he said allowed him to get a lot more exposure to embedded development at all stages of the process. He also used it experiment with compiling ROM's, which he liked to use more then his phone (He only had one device to develop one) because whenever he would mess something up he could easily re-flash a working image and didn't have to risk his phone. As far as benefits are concerned there easier to work with in-terms of flashing and risk then regular devices, you can do more with them then most phones/tablets (You can flash literally anything on it from different bootloaders and homemade bootloaders, to other cool electronics projects). Overall he said it was great to have around as an all purpose learning board and project board for all areas of Android development and other embedded tasks. The Panda Board hasn't been updated in several years, and while it was good at the time is pretty outdated now. Additionally the Beagle Board is cheaper and has better hardware then the Panda Board.
Last edited by shimp208; 26th June 2014 at 06:28 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread