[Q] Few questions

25th June 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I have a few questions concerning my newly acquired Note 3.

1) The device came running with 4.3. Is it worth updating it to kitkat 4.4.2 or should I just stay on 4.3 and what are the benefits of updating? I still have a few days to exchange out my device if anything should happen so if its worth getting kitkat and it I encounter problems, no big deal.

2) What is the average on screen time for a non rooted device?

I am only getting close to 4 hours of on screen time although the device lasts about a full day. I've seen some reported times of 6 hours which is incredible. I've already put brightness to 50%, turned off many of the apps I don't use, and tweaked many settings for better battery life, but still only get 4 hours on screen time.

3) I get a notification titled "Preventative information" which goes on to state "an application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device." After playing around with it I figured out it had something to do with the knox app. I turned that off and it resolved the constant notification. Is this ok to do?

I appreciate the responses in advance.
25th June 2014, 08:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

151 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper11

I have a few questions concerning my newly acquired Note 3.

1) The device came running with 4.3. Is it worth updating it to kitkat 4.4.2 or should I just stay on 4.3 and what are the benefits of updating? I still have a few days to exchange out my device if anything should happen so if its worth getting kitkat and it I encounter problems, no big deal.

2) What is the average on screen time for a non rooted device?

I am only getting close to 4 hours of on screen time although the device lasts about a full day. I've seen some reported times of 6 hours which is incredible. I've already put brightness to 50%, turned off many of the apps I don't use, and tweaked many settings for better battery life, but still only get 4 hours on screen time.

3) I get a notification titled "Preventative information" which goes on to state "an application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device." After playing around with it I figured out it had something to do with the knox app. I turned that off and it resolved the constant notification. Is this ok to do?

I appreciate the responses in advance.

1) I got my device on Feb 2014 and it was a recent manufactured and came with stock Kitkat. So 1st I will advice to check the manufacturing date, these days Note 3 doesn’t comes with Jellybean anymore. I will advice definitely you should upgrade it to 4.4.2, updated version always better than previous one, increase stability and security and functional upgrades. However clearly don’t know about the difference between Jellybean and Kitkat but there is few new added features and visual changes.

If you can exchange with a more recent manufactured one which comes with stock Kitkat that is much much better. As many user after upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4 facing many issues.

If you don’t exchange and upgrade the same phone, after upgrade hard reset your phone from boot menu. Not from setting factory reset. (I didn’t do this as mine comes with stock kitkat but I read many user recommend this to avoid issues after upgrading.
Only drawback on Kitkat I found it doesn’t let non-stock apps to write data in external Sd card.

2) I never tested the constant screen time but 4 hours looks way too low. However in this phone the screen takes the most of the battery as its large. So I think it would give around 6hours on screen. Mine give one and half day for an average use after full charge.

Edit: you can set the brightness to 40% as mine is enough at this. Also better if you use auto brightness, but I found it very low at indoor.

3) sorry no idea, didn’t see this notification so far.
Last edited by soumen.sam; 25th June 2014 at 08:31 AM.
25th June 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 743

1,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

... I still have a few days to exchange out my device if anything should happen ..

Take this chance to test your device by installing 'Phone INFO ★Samsung★' app and select Menu --> 'Refurbishment Check'
25th June 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vndnguyen

Take this chance to test your device by installing 'Phone INFO ★Samsung★' app and select Menu --> e'Refurbishment Check'

I just installed that app and tried what you said but can't get the serial number. There's no serial number behind the battery or on the box so I tried all the other numbers like HEX, DEC, IMEI but none work. However I did notice that after a message pops up that says invalid number, it says that the device is refurbished. Not sure if its correct or not because it then says my serial number is 000000000.
26th June 2014, 05:44 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 743

1,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just installed that app and tried what you said but can't get the serial number. There's no serial number behind the battery or on the box so I tried all the other numbers like HEX, DEC, IMEI but none work. However I did notice that after a message pops up that says invalid number, it says that the device is refurbished. Not sure if its correct or not because it then says my serial number is 000000000.

1- There should be the S/N on the back plate of the phone, under the battery. Please double check, or can you show (or PM me) the picture of the back of the phone (after removing the battery)?

2- Anyway you can skip the S/N check by pressing the Skip button.

3- If you still get the refurbished result by skipping the S/N check, you can post all screenshots from the app (or PM me) for more investigations.

I will tell you if your phone has any issue with the refurbishment.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank