Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 54,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2

Tip us?

Kafluke
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default [GUIDE] Downgrade stock 6.3.3 to rootable 6.3.2

1. Download stock firmware 6.3.2 (latest KFU will get it for you)
2. Copy stock firmware to internal storage on Kindle Fire (boot up Kindle Fire and plug into your computer)
3. Download TWRP 2.2.2.1 from here. (thanks sd_shadow).
4. Download latest FFF using KFU
5. Put TWRP and FFF into a folder on your computer that contains fastboot.exe
6. Make a factory cable (google "make Motorola factory usb cable") or you can buy a premade one or an adapter. Here's an example.
7. Turn off your Kindle fire and unplug it from your computer.
8. Plug one end or your factory cable into your computer.
9. Open a windows command prompt from the folder with fastboot.exe in it.
10. While the Kindle Fire is turned off, plug in the other end of your factory cable into the Kindle fire. This should throw the KF into fastboot mode.
If you have created the factory cable correctly you should see the red Kindle screen but it should stay there and you should get a new driver install notification in Windows. Install the driver for the Kindle Fire bootloader.
11. From your Windows command prompt run these commands (substituting the names for whatever your TWRP and FFF files are called)
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
Now you should see the FireFireFire blue screen and you can push the power button to boot into TWRP. From TWRP you can wipe everything and install the 6.3.2 file you placed on the Kindle Fire earlier (if you want to flash a KitKat ROM like CM11 or others then you must re flash recovery with latest TWRP from here). After you are using 6.3.2 you can run latest KFU and it will work just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kafluke For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sd_shadow
Old
(Last edited by sd_shadow; 21st June 2014 at 03:03 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1182
A couple of points.

If you downgrade from 6.3.3 to 6.3.2 once you connect to wifi kindle will just download 6.3.3 update again, reinstall, and you will be right back where you started, or update will fail, and it will just reboot once an hour trying to install update. So I suggest if you want a rooted Kindle do not use a stock rom till a root method for 6.3.3. is found., or a way to stop updates.

The first time use install twrp with KFU, it will download latest, and install it, KFU will not check for updates to TWRP, it will just use the version in the recovery folder.

Once you have TWRP and FireFireFire bootloader installed, you have several options to update/downgrade TWRP... Flashify app (in rom), Fastboot.exe (in bootloader mode), Zip versions (install TWRP in TWRP).

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Fastboot.exe Files
There are a few options for getting Fastboot.exe, if you downloaded KFU you already have it, look in Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9/tools folder, install SDK, or download adb-fastboot.zip
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kafluke
Old
(Last edited by Kafluke; 23rd June 2014 at 03:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
A couple of points.

If you downgrade from 6.3.3 to 6.3.2 once you connect to wifi kindle will just download 6.3.3 update again, reinstall, and you will be right back where you started, or update will fail, and it will just reboot once an hour trying to install update. So I suggest if you want a rooted Kindle do not use a stock rom till a root method for 6.3.3. is found., or a way to stop updates.

The first time use install twrp with KFU, it will download latest, and install it, KFU will not check for updates to TWRP, it will just use the version in the recovery folder.

Once you have TWRP and FireFireFire bootloader installed, you have several options to update/downgrade TWRP... Flashify app (in rom), Fastboot.exe (in bootloader mode), Zip versions (install TWRP in TWRP).

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Fastboot.exe Files
There are a few options for getting Fastboot.exe, if you downloaded KFU you already have it, look in Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9/tools folder, install SDK, or download adb-fastboot.zip
All really great points. I guess the purpose of the guide really comes down to showing you how to get into fastboot mode on stock firmware 6.3.3 because every software option that I tried to get into fastboot didn't work. They worked on 6.3.2 but gave write errors on 6.3.3. Only factory USB cable worked on 6.3.3

After that you're just best to go to a custom ROM to avoid all the auto-updating that you mentioned.

sd_shadow
Old
(Last edited by sd_shadow; 23rd June 2014 at 03:38 PM.) Reason: link
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1182
or my prerooted 6.3.3 zip

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grampo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Blocking Updates On The Kindle Fire

Blocking updates on the Kindle fire is easily done once the device is rooted. Just download an Android Firewall App for the Kindle Fire. I used the DroidWall App as it was a Free Download. once installed, the DroidWall App has two methods of blocking connections to the net, White Wall and Black Wall. With the white wall you check the ones that you want to allow. With the Black Wall you check the ones you want to block. Two ways to the same result. I used the White Wall, fewer checks to block what you want and allow what you want to allow. I just went through the White Wall and checked the ones that I though needed to be allowed and it worked like a charm the first try. When checking blocks on the White Wall, make sure to not leave the pertinet block white to allow the blocking of all Apps. If you blocked the Netflix app, for instance, you could not watch any movies on Netflix. And believe me, when you have headphones or ear buds plugged into the audio jack, you could not find a nicer way to view movies without disturbing any one else. The only thing, to view netflex you have to have WiFi available.
Grampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
A couple of points.

Fastboot.exe Files