Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Galaxy S3 shuts down during boot

OP cheezyphil

26th June 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
My Galaxy S3 keeps shutting off during boot. I encountered this problem while running Cmod 11. Was using poweramp playing music off my 64gb exFat microsd card, and suddenly Poweramp encounters "Error too many files" and promptly shuts the phone down. (Poweramp has been giving me strange problems before this, like that error just mentioned, and scanning for changes when there are none, but this is the first time the error caused the phone to shut down).

After rebooting it, The S3 gets to the boot screen and upon opening an app, promptly shuts down again. Further attempts result in the phone shutting off during the boot animation, and finally now the phone simply shuts down right before the boot animation. (note: it doesn't reboot. It turns itself off).

I thought it might be a problem with Cmod, so I wiped everything and using CWM, installed slimkat. Same problem. so I went and installed stock android using Odin, and now I'm back to stock. STILL same problem.

When I have the phone plugged into a computer, it seems to get further than the boot animation before shutting down (sometimes it gets to the lockscreen before shutting down again).

Any idea what's causing this problem? I have no problems with erratic shutdowns during recovery and download mode.
26th June 2014, 11:49 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,488

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
How old is your battery? Might be time to replace it.
26th June 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
This is the same battery the phone came with since a couple years ago. Assuming it is a problem with the battery, why does recovery and download mode still work fine?
26th June 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,706

3,888 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezyphil

This is the same battery the phone came with since a couple years ago. Assuming it is a problem with the battery, why does recovery and download mode still work fine?

They're not as heavy to load.

Was any modification done to your phone (software) about when that started happening?
26th June 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
The s3's been on and off custom roms for a year now
26th June 2014, 04:48 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais

3,888 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The s3's been on and off custom roms for a year now

I mean before it started happening. Or were you on the same ROM/version of that ROM for a while when it happened.
26th June 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Been on cmod for a year before it happened. Reverted to stock rom about a month ago to unlock it, and then straight back to cmod. A couple days after coming back to cmod, this happens.
26th June 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais

3,888 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Been on cmod for a year before it happened. Reverted to stock rom about a month ago to unlock it, and then straight back to cmod. A couple days after coming back to cmod, this happens.

Well if you can get in recovery, I would suggest doing a clean flash. But chances are that it's your battery giving out.
26th June 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,488

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you want to test, borrow a battery from another S3. I know with T-Mobile you can go to a store and they usually have a device on hand that you can borrow one from to test it out before spending money on it. I imagine you can do this at AT&T stores as well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread