Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Rooted, deleted a few things, then dead galaxy s4? What happened?

OP daveyp225

23rd June 2014, 10:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

Events leading up to the dead s4:

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.
23rd June 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #2  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 833

2,448 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyp225

So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

Events leading up to the dead s4:

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.

simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 12:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter
23rd June 2014, 12:55 PM   |  #4  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 833

2,448 posts
Quote:

thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter

I can't help you that
24th June 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #5  
Flag Minden, NV
Thanks Meter: 185

596 posts
More
Quote:

Re install your drivers then try again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
26th June 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 301

495 posts
Sounds like a total brick to me. There are jtag services. I bought the equipment myself to jtag for a hard brick but my warranty company decided the replace my phone after all so I didn't have to use the equipment. Mine did the same exact thing. Wouldn't even get warm when plugged into the charger.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread