Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,512 Members 42,684 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted, deleted a few things, then dead galaxy s4? What happened?

Tip us?

daveyp225
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Rooted, deleted a few things, then dead galaxy s4? What happened?

So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

Events leading up to the dead s4:

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyp225 View Post
So I rooted my s4 using towelroot and stupidly tried to install a custom recovery. First CWM then TWRP (not sure if this has anything to do with it, likely not?). Now it has no power, and wont charge...

Events leading up to the dead s4:

I "rebooted to recovery" and it brought me to the DOWNLOADING! screen instead of a recovery manager, I held down power and then it shut off and it turned back on again and brought me to another screen asking me to continue or boot normally.

I booted normally.

Then I deleted a few of the annoying apps that were preinstalled, nothing that was listed as essential to the Kernel/OS using Root App Delete. Finally I went to work with the battery dying, and it died on the way.

I tried to charge it the following morning and it would not charge. No LED light, no vibrate that usually happens. I left it alone with the battery out for 2 days, switching back to my s3. Tried again, still nothing.

Wont charge, computer wont recognize. Tried 3 different cables, a samsung charger and my asus tablet charger. Apparently it is a brick.

Thought it might be the USB port, and from a previous screen swap I performed, I still had the old USB assembly, so I swapped them, and it still will not respond. I even tried the older screen, nothing.

Anyone have the slightest clue what happened? I bought another battery to try, but doubt it will resolve the problem.

simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daveyp225
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
simple research you could have avoided all this....unless you have a MDK bootloader you CAN NOT install any custom recovery like TWRP of CWM without messing your phone up. Safestrap is your ONLY option. The link below is where you should have started your research. Most likely now you will have to try odin a clean image tar of your phone's firmware base
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
thank you. I know i messed up, have rooted/installed cfw on like 10 android phones but they always packaged root and unlocked the bootloader at once, which I never noticed.

Also, how can I connect the phone to odin if it wont connect to a PC? or charge for that matter
I can't help you that
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

Kole_Ackerson
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:

Re install your drivers then try again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Tulsadiver
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Sounds like a total brick to me. There are jtag services. I bought the equipment myself to jtag for a hard brick but my warranty company decided the replace my phone after all so I didn't have to use the equipment. Mine did the same exact thing. Wouldn't even get warm when plugged into the charger.