Post Reply

[Q] Battery overcharging

22nd June 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Hello.

With Current Widget I measured voltage during charging... In 100% it is over 4.35V what is, I think overcharged, because Li-po or Li-ion have max voltage 4.2V per cell. I have rooted phone, but stock ROM and stock kernel. Can rooted firmware change charge specs. or this is way how SONY damaging their batteries so people have to buy every year/two new phone or new battery?

Thanks for answers.
22nd June 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #2  
eclyptos's Avatar
Senior Member
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 616
 
2,991 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
It's 0.15V of difference, it do not hurts or anything. Sony do not plan to ruin your phone. You are just paranoid on Stock Rom...LOL...
23rd June 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
I'm working with Li-po batteries in RC planes and I can tell you, that 0.15V overcharged can significantly decrease life of your battery. But it is easy way how to increase capacity of battery, but it is very bad way.
So, those limits are controlled by Kernel, yes?? And when I flashed different FW to root my phone, it didn't changed kernel, so I probably has stock kernel?? Thats the main question for me, because with previous experiences I rather stay at stock kernel and stock ROM before flashing anything custom.
25th June 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #4  
eclyptos's Avatar
Senior Member
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 616
 
2,991 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppyk

I'm working with Li-po batteries in RC planes and I can tell you, that 0.15V overcharged can significantly decrease life of your battery. But it is easy way how to increase capacity of battery, but it is very bad way.

Ok, also you should know that the test where you get from that 0.15V can be non Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppyk

So, those limits are controlled by Kernel, yes??

Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppyk

And when I flashed different FW to root my phone, it didn't changed kernel, so I probably has stock kernel??

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppyk

Thats the main question for me, because with previous experiences I rather stay at stock kernel and stock ROM before flashing anything custom.

You can stay on Stock Rom and flash a Custom Kernel, for that you have to Unlock Your Bootloader, and play with the settings or anything to undervolt the charging, but I think is not that simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 45
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
On more than one occasion I've seen you post and give horrible information, in most cases, very wrong because you don't know any better. If you don't know something, DON'T COMMENT ON IT.

0.15V is a big difference when it comes to batteries as small as ours. In a car battery, sure, 0.15V isn't that big of a deal, it's less than 0.01% of a difference, something that can naturally occur with impurities in the lead/acid components, magnetic shift or hitting a speed bump too fast. However, on a battery the size that's in our phones? That's a 3% difference. 3% variance is MASSIVE in relative sizes.

I'm not saying don't help anyone, but don't fake answers in hopes someone clicks your thanks button.

On topic:

In the past, have you flashed a 3rd party kernel at any time, for fun or testing, or for daily driver use? (Even if you're stock now)

How are you plugging the device in - USB port on a computer? USB port on the side of a surge protector? If it's a computer port, is it USB 2 or 3?

Are you using the stock charging block and stock cable that came with the phone? A 3rd party solution like Belkin, etc.?

If you have access to one, plug into a car cigarette lighter, either Sony or 3rd party, do you see a change in the overcharge values? What about a magnetic charging cable?

Have you opened up the phone and tinkered with anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiltron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #6  
Kirkymole's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Swindon
Thanks Meter: 61
 
358 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
Just going out on a limb here but have you checked the app is actually accurate!!
26th June 2014, 12:10 PM   |  #7  
dladz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 758
 
3,676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppyk

Hello.

With Current Widget I measured voltage during charging... In 100% it is over 4.35V what is, I think overcharged, because Li-po or Li-ion have max voltage 4.2V per cell. I have rooted phone, but stock ROM and stock kernel. Can rooted firmware change charge specs. or this is way how SONY damaging their batteries so people have to buy every year/two new phone or new battery?

Thanks for answers.

The only way you're going to be sure if that voltage is accurate is if you use a multi meter, apps only read what the phone reads and outputs, which isn't always accurate, try getting CPUZ HW monitor for your computer and check your 12V rail, you'll find that it's nowhere near accurate whereas other apps will give an accurate reading, with this being the case there is no way of knowing which one is accurate and which one isn't, a multi meter is the only way. But in all fairness you're probably going to be using your phone for around 2 years so with that in mind does it really matter?
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #8  
eclyptos's Avatar
Senior Member
Planet Earth
Thanks Meter: 616
 
2,991 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

The only way you're going to be sure if that voltage is accurate is if you use a multi meter, apps only read what the phone reads and outputs, which isn't always accurate, try getting CPUZ HW monitor for your computer and check your 12V rail, you'll find that it's nowhere near accurate whereas other apps will give an accurate reading, with this being the case there is no way of knowing which one is accurate and which one isn't, a multi meter is the only way. But in all fairness you're probably going to be using your phone for around 2 years so with that in mind does it really matter?

Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #9  
dladz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 758
 
3,676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos

Thank you.

Lol you are most welcome sir
26th June 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #10  
dladz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 758
 
3,676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltron

On more than one occasion I've seen you post and give horrible information, in most cases, very wrong because you don't know any better. If you don't know something, DON'T COMMENT ON IT.

0.15V is a big difference when it comes to batteries as small as ours. In a car battery, sure, 0.15V isn't that big of a deal, it's less than 0.01% of a difference, something that can naturally occur with impurities in the lead/acid components, magnetic shift or hitting a speed bump too fast. However, on a battery the size that's in our phones? That's a 3% difference. 3% variance is MASSIVE in relative sizes.

I'm not saying don't help anyone, but don't fake answers in hopes someone clicks your thanks button.

Take it easy dude, on more than one occasion i've seen him give perfect advice and to keep things real i've seen mods and elite developers make bad decisions and give bad advice out because they simply thought they knew, give him a break eh! Theres ways of saying things to people if you have a problem, like not doing it publicly, if you voice your concerns properly then no harm no foul, personally if you'd have just said that to me i'd be annoyed.

Just a heads up.

And as i've already said about the voltage offsets which have been talked about, in all fairness it's a negligent difference and won't matter in the overall scheme of things.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Xperia Z1 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank