Necessary to protect rooted (otherwise stock) 4.4.2?

26th June 2014, 11:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis Metro
Thanks Meter: 43

205 posts
More
Hi folks,

I got a used I337 S4 and have been using it on ATT no problems. I rooted it (towelroot), initially just to make it easier to back up some application data but eventually I plan to debloat the thing. Probably will stay on stock ROM unless I have a compelling reason to switch.

My question is, now that I have a rooted device, do I have anything to fear from possible OTA updates to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, updating the OS and making me loose root. And if I do need to be concerned, what is the best way to block such updates from happening, until such time as a new root is (hopefully) developed.

Sorry if this is a basic question... I'm still learning my way around these things.

Thanks

Marc
26th June 2014, 08:01 PM   |  #2  
Flag Odessa
Thanks Meter: 13

55 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript

Hi folks,

I got a used I337 S4 and have been using it on ATT no problems. I rooted it (towelroot), initially just to make it easier to back up some application data but eventually I plan to debloat the thing. Probably will stay on stock ROM unless I have a compelling reason to switch.

My question is, now that I have a rooted device, do I have anything to fear from possible OTA updates to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, updating the OS and making me loose root. And if I do need to be concerned, what is the best way to block such updates from happening, until such time as a new root is (hopefully) developed.

Sorry if this is a basic question... I'm still learning my way around these things.

Thanks

Marc

Read the section about "Block the AT&T OTA update" in the post 1 here.
The Following User Says Thank You to sway8966 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis Metro
Thanks Meter: 43

205 posts
More
Thanks. Perfect info.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread