Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 44,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Necessary to protect rooted (otherwise stock) 4.4.2?

Tip us?

Frankenscript
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default Necessary to protect rooted (otherwise stock) 4.4.2?

Hi folks,

I got a used I337 S4 and have been using it on ATT no problems. I rooted it (towelroot), initially just to make it easier to back up some application data but eventually I plan to debloat the thing. Probably will stay on stock ROM unless I have a compelling reason to switch.

My question is, now that I have a rooted device, do I have anything to fear from possible OTA updates to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, updating the OS and making me loose root. And if I do need to be concerned, what is the best way to block such updates from happening, until such time as a new root is (hopefully) developed.

Sorry if this is a basic question... I'm still learning my way around these things.

Thanks

Marc

sway8966
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenscript View Post
Hi folks,

I got a used I337 S4 and have been using it on ATT no problems. I rooted it (towelroot), initially just to make it easier to back up some application data but eventually I plan to debloat the thing. Probably will stay on stock ROM unless I have a compelling reason to switch.

My question is, now that I have a rooted device, do I have anything to fear from possible OTA updates to 4.4.3 or 4.4.4, updating the OS and making me loose root. And if I do need to be concerned, what is the best way to block such updates from happening, until such time as a new root is (hopefully) developed.

Sorry if this is a basic question... I'm still learning my way around these things.

Thanks

Marc
Read the section about "Block the AT&T OTA update" in the post 1 here.
========================================
Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 NC1 baseband: GF 3.0 with SS
HTC Vivid : CM-11
Motorola Xoom Wifi : CM 11
The Following User Says Thank You to sway8966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Frankenscript
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Thanks. Perfect info.