Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Android internal storage size

OP netimen

26th June 2014, 09:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
I have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra device and officially it has 16GB of internal storage. But when I go to Settings-> Storage I see that total space is only 11.79 GB. Obviously the rest is reserved for the system.

So the question is: does the system really need so much? I'm using a very compact SlimKat ROM, so I doubt it does

Is there any way to repartition device somehow and make more storage available to the user and less for the system? Or there are reasons why it's impossible even when using custom ROM?

I know there are some tricks to make the device treat the external SD card as internal memory but that's not what I'm looking for now

P. S. I tried to google, but I couldn't find any relevant info
Last edited by netimen; 27th June 2014 at 09:44 AM.
26th June 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #2  
Flag coimbatore
Thanks Meter: 25

73 posts
More
Contact your models developer
The Following User Says Thank You to pandian8552 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandian8552

Contact your models developer

Thanks, but I think this question is not Sony-specific I mean that on every Android device some part of the storage is reserved for system use

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk
Last edited by netimen; 26th June 2014 at 02:58 PM.
26th June 2014, 02:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 104

429 posts
More
Repartitioning a Sony device sounds like a question that should be asked in your device and ROM specific forum threads. I would need to use a tool made by Samsung to do that on my Samsung phone. You may need some Sony or development tool. Search on xda.
26th June 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalec

Repartitioning a Sony device sounds like a question that should be asked in your device and ROM specific forum threads. I would need to use a tool made by Samsung to do that on my Samsung phone. You may need some Sony or development tool. Search on xda.

Yeah, I will ask in the Sony forums about the tool. I was just curious if it is theoretically possible, or may be there are some important reasons for not doing that )

27th June 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #6  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 104

429 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netimen

Yeah, I will ask in the Sony forums about the tool. I was just curious if it is theoretically possible, or may be there are some important reasons for not doing that )

I know it's possible on my Samsung Galaxy S4; however, I haven't done it because it comes with risk of hard-bricking the device if you don't do it correctly. I figure I won't cross that bridge unless it's ever truly necessary.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to lalec For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread