Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,635 Members 38,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock 4.1.2 & hboot 1.44 - Should I get S-Off ???

Tip us?

Piachnp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Stock 4.1.2 & hboot 1.44 - Should I get S-Off ???

Hey, I have an AT&T HTC one m7 running 4.1.2 and hboot 1.44

I was wondering which steps should I take to convert to a GPE in order to get an updated version of stock android (as I am not feeling very comfortable with HTC Sense).
Someone told me that I should do S-Off now and be happy ever after lol. Is it worth it??? If I have problems with camera tint, could I get it fixed or am I gonna have problems claiming the warranty?

1) What procedure should I use to do S-Off ??? I've seen like 3 different ones.
2) Doing S-Off also implies getting the bootloader unlocked right?

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Which guides I should follow to get from where I am, to a fully updated GPE phone?

raghav kapur
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piachnp View Post
Hey, I have an AT&T HTC one m7 running 4.1.2 and hboot 1.44

I was wondering which steps should I take to convert to a GPE in order to get an updated version of stock android (as I am not feeling very comfortable with HTC Sense).
Someone told me that I should do S-Off now and be happy ever after lol. Is it worth it??? If I have problems with camera tint, could I get it fixed or am I gonna have problems claiming the warranty?

1) What procedure should I use to do S-Off ??? I've seen like 3 different ones.
2) Doing S-Off also implies getting the bootloader unlocked right?

If you guys could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Which guides I should follow to get from where I am, to a fully updated GPE phone?
1) The camera tint cannot be corrected unless you're on stock Sense firmware. Prior to S-OFF and a GPE ROM/firmware, the bootloader needs to be unlocked and phone must be rooted. Bootloader unlock and root voids warranty
2) First, unlock the bootloader. Then, flash a custom recovery and then, root. Then use Revone to S-OFF. HBOOT 1.44 is the least problematic, S-OFF is quite straightforward.
3) Yes, bootloader unlock is the first step towards S-OFF. It'll wipe the phone completely. So, make a backup first

Also note: To get the latest stock android build on your One, you have 2 options:
1) Complete conversion using an RUU. Link here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2358781
2) Flash a GPE-based ROM in custom recovery (Eg, Skydragon, ARHD, SinLess, etc.)

A full conversion involves much more steps; a ROM is more straightforward. You'll the the exact same GPE experience on either

Piachnp
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Thank you for clarifying the steps. Every phone is different, and I got very overwhelmed with the info on this forum.

I'll get started with the bootloader unlocking and rooting!