Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

New to S5: Update to nf6?

OP CamoCustom

26th June 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

91 posts
Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk
26th June 2014, 05:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 33

460 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom

Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

There is a way to update to nf6 and keep root. Read it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2790292

You'll never know when your area will have volte coverage.
26th June 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

91 posts
Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5

26th June 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 33

460 posts
More
Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.
26th June 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joking

Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.

thank you
26th June 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeung

thank you

If you do the update, make sure to wipe the cache after.
My battery life was terrible after the update until I cleared the cache.
Now it is better than ever.
26th June 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

91 posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the info

27th June 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 19

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom

Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5

VoLTE means the network does not drop down to the slower 4G network and will remain on LTE. You will have faster internet speeds when on a call. Also it may help slightly with call clarity, but I don't notice the difference.

Also just FYI: In Tampa FL they rolled out wideband LTE so you can get faster data speeds on t-mobile now in that area. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and it's not listed as a VoLTE area but VoLTE works.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread