FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more

Which Manufacturer (And Device) Made You Choose Android?

The beautiful thing about Android is that there is so much to choose from. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

New to S5: Update to nf6?

26th June 2014, 04:16 PM |#1  
CamoCustom's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk
 
 
26th June 2014, 04:24 PM |#2  
joking's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom

Hello, I recently got my s5,had rooted with towelroot, then updated with kies to ne6,then rerooted again so I can have my titanium backup back. Question is, should I install the nf6 update and lose root, I am not in a location for the volte coverage, I am near Tampa fl. From what I understand it's mainly for this volte coverage.

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk

There is a way to update to nf6 and keep root. Read it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2790292

You'll never know when your area will have volte coverage.
26th June 2014, 04:27 PM |#3  
CamoCustom's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk
26th June 2014, 04:34 PM |#4  
joking's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.
26th June 2014, 04:57 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joking

Well from what I see, the different in the new update is when you make the voice call, the signal still show 4g lte instead of drop down to 4g in the previous firmware. Also in the settings for calls you have the option to turn on/off volte. Other than that, I don't see any different on the phone operation wise.

thank you
26th June 2014, 05:11 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeung

thank you

If you do the update, make sure to wipe the cache after.
My battery life was terrible after the update until I cleared the cache.
Now it is better than ever.
26th June 2014, 05:47 PM |#7  
CamoCustom's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Thanks guys, appreciate the info

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk
27th June 2014, 12:00 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom

Now, I'm coming from Verizon service and have had a Droid Bionic and Razr m both 4g of course, what is the voice over LTE, what are the pros and cons, never heard of it before.

Also, for the record I am not new to modding and tinkering, first rooted and themed on Droid x2,then the Bionic, then had my Razr m bootloader unlocked. Not a total newb to this, just to T-Mobile and the s5

Sent from my DROID Razr M using Tapatalk

VoLTE means the network does not drop down to the slower 4G network and will remain on LTE. You will have faster internet speeds when on a call. Also it may help slightly with call clarity, but I don't notice the difference.

Also just FYI: In Tampa FL they rolled out wideband LTE so you can get faster data speeds on t-mobile now in that area. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and it's not listed as a VoLTE area but VoLTE works.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank