[Q] upgrade 4.2.2 rooted to 4.4Kitkat

OP drfunkenstein2k

26th June 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #71  
Flag PDX/Vanc,WA area
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Status 7??
I've carefully read thru this whole thread. Downloaded, backed-up, made copies of backups (already saved me a couple times!). Was able to root my stock 4.2.2 & get current CWMR Touch installed (I've used it for a long time on my Vibrant and S3).

Every time I try to flash a ZIP ROM file, it errors out with a "Status 7". I've tried toggling the signature verification, no help.
I'm currently restoring my working/rooted/app'd-up 4.2.2 so I can put current TWRP on & see if that makes a difference.

Assuming it doesn't, what next??
This is the 1st time I've had the "leisure" of modding 1 phone while still using my current one. It's nice to feel like I have nothing to lose!
26th June 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #72  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 872

2,571 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMage

I've carefully read thru this whole thread. Downloaded, backed-up, made copies of backups (already saved me a couple times!). Was able to root my stock 4.2.2 & get current CWMR Touch installed (I've used it for a long time on my Vibrant and S3).

Every time I try to flash a ZIP ROM file, it errors out with a "Status 7". I've tried toggling the signature verification, no help.
I'm currently restoring my working/rooted/app'd-up 4.2.2 so I can put current TWRP on & see if that makes a difference.

Assuming it doesn't, what next??
This is the 1st time I've had the "leisure" of modding 1 phone while still using my current one. It's nice to feel like I have nothing to lose!

That error usually means you have outdated recovery, but if it persists I suggest using twrp recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #73  
Flag PDX/Vanc,WA area

13 posts
More
Clockwork Touch was current, but TWRP solved the Status 7 error.

Now I'm waiting for Titanium Backup to finish it's restore to see how well things migrated from my S3 to the S4.
I'm hoping the purchase history in GetJar and AppGratis will follow across. I had my S3 pretty themed-out.

Ahh! Can't keep the battery from dying while trying to do the restore...

I'll have to do another Titanium cycle from the S3 to the S4 to catch today's texts & activity

Thanks for the suggestion!

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow

This is S-voice running without issues on my phone [link snipped due to noob restrictions] download it and push it to priv-app and set permissions.
Download es file explorer from the play store and grant it permissions by opening it and clicking on the icon on the upper left hand corner.
Scroll down and click on root explorer.
A window will pop up and you'll need to click on Mount R/W. Then another window will pop up and you'll need to click on System under RW and click OK.
Then find the S-voice apk I provided and copy it by long pressing it and selecting copy.
Lastly you'll need to paste it to System/priv-app. You can get there by clicking in the upper center bar. Click on device and scroll down and you will see the system folder. Open it and scroll to priv-app and paste the apk in that folder.
Long press on the app when your done and click on more/properties and click on the tab next to permissions. You'll need to change permissions to rw- r-- r-- and click OK. Reboot the phone and you should have a working S-voice. I'm attaching a screenshot of the permission selections you need to choose to make it rw-r--r--.

Sent from my SGH-M919

GREATLY appreciate the sharing & instructions. NOT so interested in the 'gimme-your-email-address/social-network-details-so-we-can-spam-you sharing site.

Anyone got it uploaded some place that's not playing games?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Can TWRP restore a backup done by CWMR?

I'll do a new Nandroid backup in TWRP once 4.4.2 looks as close to my S3 as possible

Does Titanium save screen layouts, icon positions, folders, etc?
I really want to migrate my "user state" as completely as possible to the S4.
Last edited by OldMage; 26th June 2014 at 09:23 AM.
26th June 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #74  
Flag Houston

2,571 posts
More
Quote:

Can TWRP restore a backup done by CWMR?

I'll do a new Nandroid backup in TWRP once 4.4.2 looks as close to my S3 as possible

Does Titanium save screen layouts, icon positions, folders, etc?
I really want to migrate my "user state" as completely as possible to the S4.

I don't think twrp can restore a cwm backup.. For your second question, I think it should, just back up your launcher settings as long as its not the touchwiz launcher, it may work but may also be screwy, you can try it anyway.. If its a custom launcher they may be a setting to back up your setting with will backup your wallpaper, icon placement, and all that stuff
26th June 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #75  
Flag PDX/Vanc,WA area

13 posts
More
Almost there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

I don't think twrp can restore a cwm backup.. For your second question, I think it should, just back up your launcher settings as long as its not the touchwiz launcher, it may work but may also be screwy, you can try it anyway.. If its a custom launcher they may be a setting to back up your setting with will backup your wallpaper, icon placement, and all that stuff

Titanium did finally restore folders & icon layouts, and my Go Locker theme, but not all of my Go Launcher settings (I'll import those from Go Locker's own backup) or my SMS/MMS history. I've got EasyBackup working on that right now. I did the restore from 'snapshot', should I try the XML?

It's a lot closer. Funny... I like new toys, but I don't like change. Does that make ANY sense??
This thread has been SO awesome. I used up all my thanks for today since I was messing around till after midnight.

Then I still need to flash the FNB4 modem and possibly the Fenny kernel.
26th June 2014, 09:45 PM   |  #76  
Flag Houston

2,571 posts
More
Quote:

I've got EasyBackup working on that right now. I did the restore from 'snapshot', should I try the XML?

It's a lot closer. Funny... I like new toys, but I don't like change. Does that make ANY sense??

Easy back up will work fine, what do you mean should you try the XML?

And yup I'm the same way, I set up my S4 same way I had it on my S3 lol
26th June 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #77  
Flag PDX/Vanc,WA area

13 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

Easy back up will work fine, what do you mean should you try the XML?

And yup I'm the same way, I set up my S4 same way I had it on my S3 lol

Titanium asks if I want to use the snapshot (more accurate) or the XML (more compatible) during the restore.

I think I'm doing pretty good now. Between what I backed up to my PC over USB, what gets backed up by Google automatically, what I've gotten from Titanium... if I can get EasyBackup to finish it's restore, I'll be done. The phone restarted part way through the MMS restore
26th June 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #78  
Flag Houston

2,571 posts
More
Quote:

Titanium asks if I want to use the snapshot (more accurate) or the XML (more compatible) during the restore.

I think I'm doing pretty good now. Between what I backed up to my PC over USB, what gets backed up by Google automatically, what I've gotten from Titanium... if I can get EasyBackup to finish it's restore, I'll be done. The phone restarted part way through the MMS restore

In don't use titanium, but XML should be OK, although I don't think it will restore MMS. Try waiting for a while after you boot, the phone can get pretty hot when restoring MMS with easy back up especially if its many. Not sure if that's the issues but it may be.. I usually just back up SMS & MMS with easy back up and it always restores everything without an issue
27th June 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #79  
Flag PDX/Vanc,WA area

13 posts
More
Looks pretty good now. FNB4 modem made a difference too. Added a couple bars.
How do I change the 'theme' of the dialer (among others, possibly)? I like dark themes, and this is white.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread