View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Nexus or Project Silver ?
Nexus Line, they give great value for money 29 46.77%
Project Silver, it promises a lot in the long run 4 6.45%
Both : Project Silver and Nexus Line 16 25.81%
I would not care at all 5 8.06%
I am not sure 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Is the end of Nexus inevitable? Silver Line to come soon..... Discussion

OP Hnk1

7th June 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 539

603 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbat99

I'm still hoping for a nexus 8. My niece would love my n7 2013 and a n8 would be the perfect excuse for me to pass it to her and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchandarana28

same :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezlerox

Maybe not a very exciting answer, but where tech is concerned (and all the rumours that precede any new product) I am a "I'll wait and see" kind of guy. Also, I see no real reason to rush out and buy the latest and greatest all the time what I have is serving its purpose

Understandable that you shouldnot just go out and buy every LATEST gadget out there. I specifically have a guide for it which is in my signature!

About Nexus 8, rumors have again been flooded so lets hope we do get a Nexus 8.
7th June 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
I think Google spent many years and money to make a Nexus brand. Its a wrong choice to destroy Nexus brand. So may be we will see both nexus and android silver devices.
8th June 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #23  
Flag St.Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 173

615 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

My problem with this silver program is that price will surely not be nexus levels and I doubt these silver edition phones will have the freedom that nexuses have. Just like Dev editions.... most of which still have restrictions you don't see on a nexus. Example, flashing any bootloader you want, no matter what version.

So I'm not very excited about this potential new direction.

Also, it will split up the current nexus community over multiple devices.

agreed i think splitting the community is bad we have only so many devs to start with that are willing to donate their time. but i think eventually most people will move to one or two silver devices.
9th June 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 4

15 posts
Not only will Google's Android Silver Program hopefully be coming out early next year, but let us remember that they also have a goal of releasing their Project Ara modular phones around the same time (January 2015). The reason I bring this up is because online I found that they have a 4 7 Endo (sort of like a motherboard) for a model that they label as a "phablet", but if we don't have to be tied to a cell phone provider then we basically will have a modular tablet that we can upgrade piece by piece when newer parts are released.

Also, if we are able to produce successful graphene transistors for our microprocessors to give us some serious processing power on our handheld devices, that would be nice too. So far I only have ran into IBM being mentioned online on creating one at the moment. So if I understood it correctly, if we later on get a module piece with a graphene chip inside then that would be the next step for having powerful haldhelds. Also having to overcome the production process to meet demands as well will be a hurtle to overcome. (Searching online can help find more info on this. I'm not an expert, just posting what I remember reading.) If companies want to hold it off from us, will there be a kickstarter to produce them later on? A user can dream...

Last thing I want to mention since we are talking about Android Silver, is that yes I too believe cost was a huge factor for the success the Nexus devices. Not sure if that was one of the main reasons it has sold so well. Newegg has refurbished Nexus 7s (2013 edition) for $150.00 right now. Which is why I chose the device over all others. Decent specs, open source OS, large Dev community, easy to personalize OS, and all for a reasonable price. Hopefully they take note of all this and keep giving us great devices in the near future.
Last edited by H0B0onDRUGS2; 10th June 2014 at 05:08 AM.
14th June 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #25  
Flag santa flora
Thanks Meter: 233

875 posts
Donate to Me
Well I just don't like that there seems that there would be no 2014 nexus 7 which I had my mind set on. But whatever I'm not buying a nexus 8 because it can't fit on my pocket 😤
27th June 2014, 04:54 AM   |  #26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 539

603 posts
More
Latest on Nexus

Quote:

Dave Burke, the head of Android engineering and the Nexus program at Google, spoke to ReadWrite and completely debunked the idea that the Nexus program is disappearing.
Burke went on to explain that it is actually impossible for Google to build Android without Nexus devices. The two processes happen in tandem - as the Android team writes the software, the hardware team builds the new Nexus devices. Beyond that, the Nexus program is (as we have said often) a way to show where Google thinks the platform should be going both with software and hardware. The Nexus program isn't going anywhere.

Reference :
http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-N...-works_id57593
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread