Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 39,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't boot into recovery or download mode (but phone works)

Tip us?

sololhj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default [Q] Can't boot into recovery or download mode (but phone works)

Phone can boot normally, however it wonít boot into recovery or download mode.

My phone was working fine I was running a CM milestone rom I went to update the rom and all of the sudden I cannot boot into recovery.

When I try to boot into recovery using the appropriate button combination I get the recovery splash screen then the phone powers down.
If I try to boot into download mode I get to the screen that asks if I want to continue, I hit yes then the phone powers down.

Initially I assumed that maybe I had somehow corrupted the recovery so I tried to reinstall the recovery using GooManager, then TWRP Manager and finally manually using Terminal emulator. None of that worked.

Since I canít boot into download mode Iím not sure what I should try next.

Any ideas?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
I'm thinking something may be up with your power button. Does it act sensitive while using the phone? Tapping it lightly cause the power menu to popup? Things like that? What happens if you use Terminal Emulator and type either:

su
reboot recovery

or for download mode:

su
reboot download

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

sololhj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
I'm thinking something may be up with your power button. Does it act sensitive while using the phone? Tapping it lightly cause the power menu to popup? Things like that? What happens if you use Terminal Emulator and type either:

su
reboot recovery

or for download mode:

su
reboot download

The power button has become extremely sensitive.

When I try to use Terminal emulator as you instructed the phone boots into recovery for about a second then it shuts off.

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 376
If the s4 has this same power button issue by the time I go to buy the s5 I might look into a different phone. We shouldn't have to worry about the power button failing at any point in the phones life. I miss my power button so much it makes me wish I bought extra insurance.
ADB Only (Windows)
ADB Only (Linux) <-- Plus instructions

Chris Kurisu
Old
Thanks Meter 16
What about using an app that offers power button options (power off, reboot, boot into recovery, etc) ?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Click here: site:forum.xda-developers.com your-question-or-issue-here

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kurisu View Post
What about using an app that offers power button options (power off, reboot, boot into recovery, etc) ?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
It isn't the same, power button is needed for many things that you don't think about. I'd hate my phone without a functioning power button, I use it more than my volume and home button combined. You could always map the button function to the home button, but then you lose your home button function.

Might be worth it to get it fixed. I'd get mine fixed because this phone is running amazingly for me and development is continuing to be poured into it. I think it's worth it if you're planning to keep it for a while.

A lot of my friends iphones are also having major issues with their power buttons not working. It's just wear and tear, it's going to eventually happen to a lot of people.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sololhj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post

su
reboot recovery

or for download mode:

su
reboot download

Thanks for the insight SlimSnoopOS

I am now fairly certain that my power button has been causing all my issues. It would have never occurred to me that this was a hardware issue. If i had a way to return my phone to stock I would send it in for a warranty repair.

I am very disappointed with Samsung. This is my 3rd GS3(previous 2 returned under warranty). I''ve had 3 different android phones and this one is by far the most expensive and yet it is also the most shoddy.

I am seriously considering looking for a new manufacturer for my next phone. Iphone 6 maybe?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by sololhj View Post
Thanks for the insight SlimSnoopOS

I am now fairly certain that my power button has been causing all my issues. It would have never occurred to me that this was a hardware issue. If i had a way to return my phone to stock I would send it in for a warranty repair.

I am very disappointed with Samsung. This is my 3rd GS3(previous 2 returned under warranty). I''ve had 3 different android phones and this one is by far the most expensive and yet it is also the most shoddy.

I am seriously considering looking for a new manufacturer for my next phone. Iphone 6 maybe?
I would definitely get the power button replaced by a third party company such as MobileTechVideos. You could also try doing this. It's only a suggestion but it did work for me when my power button started acting funny one weekend. Been fine two months later.

Uhh, I suggest a new OEM but its way too early to tell what will be the phone to get. MWC is coming up but I'm a summer buyer so I'd be waiting much later from now.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

jd300
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Recovery issues

I cannot get into recovery either but I can get into downloads which does absolutely nothing. While my phone is connected to my computer, it is being read by the computer. In order for me to get out of downloads I must hold down the power button and the volume down key. In attempting to get into recovery, I have tried holding down the volume up, home button, and power button. The 1st time I did this, when my phone vibrated I released the power button while holding down volume up and home button which successfully took me to recovery. Since then everything goes to download. No matter what configuration that I hold the 3 buttons the phone goes straight to download. I installed quick boot but even that takes me straight to download after pressing recovery.
My S4 is running 4.4.4. I am on Verizon.

cozzbp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I couldn't get mine in recovery, but I ran Kies, and it did it for me. Worth a try.

Tags
gs3, odin, recovery