Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 45,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Did I buy a brick? (HTC M8, Swappa)

Tip us?

bikemail
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sign [Q] Did I buy a brick? (HTC M8, Swappa)

Greetings,

(after careful searching of the archives) I still need some help.

I purchased a used M8 on swappa.com (not finalized yet, still haven't been able to boot the thing).

Was running Viper but couldn't boot past init screen - kept giving sense errors. so... I tried a couple of other ROMs loaded via SD-card (CM, Android Revolution) and both seem to install, then nothing. Reboot and only a faint gray screen. Unable to sign in. I can get back to Recovery but if I don't hold the down-volume at startup I get back to that faint gray screen.

Options? Suggestions?

Does OS- mean no OS is installed?

*** UNLOCKED ***
M8_WLV PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-VZW__001
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
OpenDSP-v26.2.2-005380M8974.0106
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Feb 25 2014,00:52:27.0

Thanks, --Greg--

Keithn
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Have you tried the RUU files Here? Thats the only other thing I can think of right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keithn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

italbomber
Old
Thanks Meter 117
If u were running a Rom you should have no problem ruuing unless it is a hardware issue which hopefully it's not.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
ROM: CleanROM 1.1
Phone/Device: VZW HTC One Max
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.2
The Following User Says Thank You to italbomber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dottat
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 745

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemail View Post
Greetings,

(after careful searching of the archives) I still need some help.

I purchased a used M8 on swappa.com (not finalized yet, still haven't been able to boot the thing).

Was running Viper but couldn't boot past init screen - kept giving sense errors. so... I tried a couple of other ROMs loaded via SD-card (CM, Android Revolution) and both seem to install, then nothing. Reboot and only a faint gray screen. Unable to sign in. I can get back to Recovery but if I don't hold the down-volume at startup I get back to that faint gray screen.

Options? Suggestions?

Does OS- mean no OS is installed?

*** UNLOCKED ***
M8_WLV PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-VZW__001
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
OpenDSP-v26.2.2-005380M8974.0106
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Feb 25 2014,00:52:27.0

Thanks, --Greg--
perfectly fine. in fact no need to ruu either. simply flash custom recovery and sideload a ROM through recovery.

If all else fails the ruu will fix it back up. Since that phone is s off and unlocked and still boots to bootloader you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bikemail
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithn View Post
Have you tried the RUU files Here? Thats the only other thing I can think of right now.
Thanks for the advice. Once I RUU'd it worked as advertised. - btw I chose option-2 (untested, but now it is tested) because I was having trouble with the HTC ABD drivers on my PC. After flashing TWRP was able to get a fresh copy of Viper on it.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses!

-Greg.