Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,622 Members 44,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kit Kat 4.4.2 Battery Drain!!

Tip us?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1398

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by esheesle View Post
I use gsam to monitor stuff. Definitely got worse with 4.4.2 upgrade. "Android System" and "Android OS" are the top battery users (in normal battery mon and gsam) using about 5-7minutes of active CPU per hour. wlan_wd_wake(1hour 16 minutes in about 5 hours uptime) is the top wakelocker followed at a distance by Combined app wakelocks (32 minutes). wifi seems insanely high to me but might be right. thoughts?

Used greenify before and loved it, but can't really greenify android system/os or wifi.
And have you turned " always scanning " to OFF under WiFi advanced??

Also try setting WiFi to " never " on when the phone is sleeping.

And if you can set your GPS to " device only " or the battery saving setting.

You could also try giving your phone a static IP address. May also be how the router is handling the dhcp end of it...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

esheesle
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I figured out my issue (i think at least). Android System was a top offender and when looking at wakelocks wifi was the worst. Did a factory reset and no issues (wifi blinking normally, not steady lit). Restored my apps and rebooted, issue came back. Went through every app I could think of that accessed resources on the network and finally came across Plex. I had it installed on mk2 and it was working just fine. I disabled "discover devices on the network" and suddenly android system dropped and screen became the big offender again. I did not change that setting when upgrading to nc5 so assume that it broke somehow on kitkat. So if you are having issues and running Plex, try that out.

esheesle
Old
Thanks Meter 17
So after running for 7 hours or so now since disabling the plex network search I am getting equal or potentially better battery life than i was with 4.3. Looking at 2.5% battery drain with some screen use, but not a ton.

Tulsadiver
Old
(Last edited by Tulsadiver; 19th June 2014 at 07:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by swc2001 View Post
So I just updated to Mk2 then directly to Kit Kat yesterday. So I was on MJ7 basically.
Since being on the new Kit Kat 4.4.2 NC5 update I have noticed a HORRIBLE battery life.
I used surges method to Get 4.4.2 with Root. Use to my battery would only drain 1% - 2% in standby mode to my way to work.
Today it burned 7%
Also when it is plugged in, and I am using it drains. (however I have frozen a few things and it slowly increases while being used.)
I have searched for an answer to this problem but to no avail. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? (please No battery widgets or apps... there must be something that is different from 4.3 that can be stopped to get back the battery I know and love)
Thank you in Advance!!
I wish you would have used Gigilies method instead. I can go up to 4.4.2, back down to 4.3, and back up again flashing a single tar file though odin. You can even do It through safestrap if you don't have a warranty and aren't worried about tripping the Knox flag.

Not only does the battery drain on the 4.4.2 roms but my phone gets as hot as a firecracker after continuous use.

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2310
Ignore, I confused myself...

esheesle
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Been a week since I found some odd behavior with Plex which was causing the wlan_wd wakelocks to happen draining my battery quite quickly. Since then I've determined that if I reboot my device, Plex still starts draining battery even with the network discovery option off. I installed Greenify and added plex to the list and took care of that problem.

Next problem up, Google+ occassionally gets stuck in an odd state where it keeps the device awake (but doesn't use cpu). If i open the app all I get is the header banner but no content. If I swipe close the app and reopen all is fine and the wakelock stops (for a while).

Finally, this morning I noticed my twitter app doing a similar wakelock hang open but no cpu.

Overall seems like 4.4.2 has some serious wakelock hanging issues causing apps to have problems. Hope 4.4.3 fixes it because its a real pain to monitor.