Attempted to downgrade and now brick?

OP van48

25th June 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I originally had andriod 4.4.2 on my maxx hd. Read a few articles and found that it was capable of being rooted using tr.adk with moto_pocalypse. Did it and it work fine. I attempted to try to install twrp but wasn't able to find a easy way so i decided to run Razr HD Utility 1.34 to try and bring the phone back to 4.1.2. Now i am stuck in a loop with the motorola boot screen. I assume i confuse the phone with a bootloader and it cant find the correct file. Can anyone recommend a fix? I was able to flash TWRP with fastboot but it doesn't do me any good. I still have capability to fastboot.
25th June 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 655

1,536 posts
More
It says right at the top of the utility post in big red writing, you can not use this utility to downgrade from kk to jb.

Look for my tutorial (guide) in the general forum for instructions on how to fix your phone.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by bweN diorD; 25th June 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD

It says right at the top of the utility post in big red writing, you can not use this utility to downgrade from kk to jb.

Look for my tutorial (guide) in the general forum for instructions on how to fix your phone.

I already had the utility before kit l Kat was release and thought i try it on my own thinking i was creative. Will read the fix and give it a shot.
27th June 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD

I couldn't find a specific instruction on brick device but i attempted to used RSD and your image VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml. RSD failed. Can you point me to a better link for more specifics?
27th June 2014, 02:37 PM   |  #5  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 448

1,366 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by van48

I couldn't find a specific instruction on brick device but i attempted to used RSD and your image VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml. RSD failed. Can you point me to a better link for more specifics?

Go here -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...to-kitkat-ota/

Since you are on KK, you cannot flash the tz or gpt partitions back to a previous version, so that could be part of your issue. Your best bet is to reflash the phone back to stock KK first.

Also, when on KK, did you ever switch from Dalvik to ART? If so, you have to reformat the data partition which means you lose everything on it. Switching to ART reformats the data partition and it is no longer compatible with previous versions of Android. It reformats it but preserves your data. I believe if you switch back to ART, it still doesn't reformat it, so you still have to format it, but you want to switch back to ART first before downgrading.

What should have happened was, before you attempted to downgrade was to revert back to dalvik, back up your data and then reformat the data partition. THEN, you could have downgraded using the universal script in SamuriHL's House of Moto tools. That's what you should be using.

Next time, instead of being creative, you should really research things and if you have any questions, ask before doing it to avoid bricking your device.

Even with an unlocked bootloader, you could still brick your device permanently if you do something completely wrong (like flash the incorrect image for your phone). I've seen many people flash images to their XT926 that were not even for the XT926 (I believe I read one guy who flash an XT926 with an XT925 or something like that) and that pretty much was the end of it. An expensive paperweight.

Hopefully, the link helps.
Last edited by iBolski; 27th June 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread