Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anyone able to run Plex (SERVER) on the Fire TV

Tip us?

beaniiman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool [Q] Anyone able to run Plex (SERVER) on the Fire TV

Not sure if its possible now with root but I would like to actually use my FireTv as a Plex server if possible.

troby86
Old
Thanks Meter 906

DONATE TO ME
Server? Why a server? There is a Plex app for the FireTV already. Doesn't really make much sense to use a media streaming device meant for pulling from a server (i.e. computer) to act as a server.

DEVICE: HTC One (T-Mobile)
ROM: United SSA v1.0.0 (Official TMOUS Sense 6)
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.0.0

gmicalzoma
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Not a crazy idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by troby86 View Post
Server? Why a server? There is a Plex app for the FireTV already. Doesn't really make much sense to use a media streaming device meant for pulling from a server (i.e. computer) to act as a server.
Actually it is not a far stretch to want a Plex server running from FTV. There are a lot people in diverse forums asking about how to have a Plex Media Server not only on FTV but on WD My Cloud, and other storage devices besides Synolgy and Qnap which support de Server role.

The reason is that some people don't have a PC or Mac to spare or don't want to have a computer or laptop running the server. If you can run the Server in FTV then you can connect from a bedroom with a Roku, with your android tablet, etc. At this point only this NAS support Plex:

Asustor (Intel)
Drobo (ARM)
Netgear ReadyNAS (Intel, ARM)
QNAP (Intel, ARM)
Synology (Intel, ARM, PowerPC)
unRAID (Intel)
WD My Book (not My Cloud)

The only problem is the resources and the load of transcoding. In all honesty it is better to save some money and buy a Mini or Micro ITX PC or an old Mac Mini (Intel Core Duo 2 with at least 2 Mhz CPUs and 2 Gb of memory) on eBay to use as a server as they are very discreet and visually imperceptible for most people.