Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 51,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to port Gingerbread?

Tip us?
 
lexsjack
Old
(Last edited by lexsjack; 26th June 2014 at 07:29 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] How to port Gingerbread?

I have an old Lg c550 Optimus Chat, it's running froyo 2.2.2, no one built a custom gingerbread rom for it so i would like to give it a try. Can anyone give me advices about what to do? Is it there a guide for dummys? I'm not a coder but if it's not too hard i can try to do it. Please help me out

P.s.: I was thinking to modify a p350 or a p500 Gingerbread but i don't know what to do
 
nightwalker
Old
#2  
nightwalker's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 306
Posts: 664
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Uttar Pradesh>Meerut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsjack View Post
I have an old Lg c550 Optimus Chat, it's running froyo 2.2.2, no one built a custom gingerbread rom for it so i would like to give it a try. Can anyone give me advices about what to do? Is it there a guide for dummys? I'm not a coder but if it's not too hard i can try to do it. Please help me out

P.s.: I was thinking to modify a p350 or a p500 Gingerbread but i don't know what to do
Well,I don't say it will work but it's pretty tough.Porting different android versions requires great knowledge and compiling also.But,while building a rom for a specific device is more secure than porting as we never know it will boot or not.But,you may try. But,I nor xda is responsible for any problems to device.You should make a backup and have all recovery tools with you,to ensure that your device didn't get brick.
replace ram disk
Modify updater scripts
Chown and chmod lines modification
init.rc editing
Rom patching
G: D.B.X -Gingerbean Dream Bolt X | Xolo A500s | Micromax A25 | Micromax A110 | Upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3
1.[GUIDE]Owner Profile In Owner Profile
2.Xolo A500s | All-In-One-Discussion-Thread

Phones: Xolo A500s-S019 Stock Rom | Micromax A25-G: D.B.X Reloaded | Micromax A110-Galaxy S5 Rom
 
lexsjack
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker View Post
Well,I don't say it will work but it's pretty tough.Porting different android versions requires great knowledge and compiling also.But,while building a rom for a specific device is more secure than porting as we never know it will boot or not.But,you may try. But,I nor xda is responsible for any problems to device.You should make a backup and have all recovery tools with you,to ensure that your device didn't get brick.
replace ram disk
Modify updater scripts
Chown and chmod lines modification
init.rc editing
Rom patching
Omg it looks terrible, i won't be able to do it, too hard... Do you know if maybe here someone could do it just for fun? Undortunatly in my life i don't know any coder...
 
nightwalker
Old
#4  
nightwalker's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 306
Posts: 664
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Uttar Pradesh>Meerut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsjack View Post
Omg it looks terrible, i won't be able to do it, too hard... Do you know if maybe here someone could do it just for fun? Undortunatly in my life i don't know any coder...
Well,Let me clarify one thing.All are noobs in starting.When we start to try things ,we gain knowledge.When I join Xda I didn't knew any thing rather than rooting.I thought that if I know rooting fully,I will be a great dev.(Told u I was a NOOB).Then,I to become popular I posted screenshots of a build.prop edit with written 4.1.1
and told I ported jelly bean.Some people told me -Wow,you are a genious dude.I felt very good hearing appreciation from them.Then,they asked me link for his.I made excuses day after day.then,one day the moderator posted a reply which changed me.So,That's why I started to gain knowledge about all this.
G: D.B.X -Gingerbean Dream Bolt X | Xolo A500s | Micromax A25 | Micromax A110 | Upcoming Samsung Galaxy S3
1.[GUIDE]Owner Profile In Owner Profile
2.Xolo A500s | All-In-One-Discussion-Thread

Phones: Xolo A500s-S019 Stock Rom | Micromax A25-G: D.B.X Reloaded | Micromax A110-Galaxy S5 Rom
 
herindedhia
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 22
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Mumbai
Wink Search search search

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsjack View Post
I have an old Lg c550 Optimus Chat, it's running froyo 2.2.2, no one built a custom gingerbread rom for it so i would like to give it a try. Can anyone give me advices about what to do? Is it there a guide for dummys? I'm not a coder but if it's not too hard i can try to do it. Please help me out

P.s.: I was thinking to modify a p350 or a p500 Gingerbread but i don't know what to do
Search for custom ROM which is made for your device.Try CyanogenMod or even search on this forum.My Samsung S+ was running on Gingerbread and now i rooted it with 4.4.2 and it really makes it faster and smoother.But try rooting along side a experience guy else it will brick your device
 
lexsjack
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by herindedhia View Post
Search for custom ROM which is made for your device.Try CyanogenMod or even search on this forum.My Samsung S+ was running on Gingerbread and now i rooted it with 4.4.2 and it really makes it faster and smoother.But try rooting along side a experience guy else it will brick your device
I searched evrywhere for a custom rom but no luck, cyanogen mod doesn't support my phone, the only thing i was able to do it was root it with gingerbreak 1.2.
 
lexsjack
Old
(Last edited by lexsjack; 27th June 2014 at 04:30 PM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
So no one can be my obi one kenoby? First of all i would need a clock work mod recovery right? There isn't one for this phone so how can i do it? Is it hard to build?

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more