How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q][M919N] Odin giving "Fail! (Auth)" error with two different errors on phone side?

OP Supakitsune

27th June 2014, 03:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
More
So, I have a MetroPCS S4 on my hands. It was on Metro's 4.3 release prior to rooting and installing custom recovery, and I can't seem to get it back to stock with Odin by any means. When I try flashing the MF2 TAR, the phone says "SW REV CHECK FAIL (fused 4, binary 1)". I tried flashing an NB4 TAR, and I got "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot" instead. Either way, I get "Fail! (Auth)" and the process ends.
The main reason I'm trying to flash any TAR in general is because it's a 32GB phone but the ROMs I've installed say that there is only about 9GB of internal storage available, which seems like the type of space that a 16GB phone might have. So if there's any way to fix the internal storage space, that'd be great too. Please help me out!
27th June 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere in Texas
Thanks Meter: 11,501

5,320 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supakitsune

So, I have a MetroPCS S4 on my hands. It was on Metro's 4.3 release prior to rooting and installing custom recovery, and I can't seem to get it back to stock with Odin by any means. When I try flashing the MF2 TAR, the phone says "SW REV CHECK FAIL (fused 4, binary 1)". I tried flashing an NB4 TAR, and I got "SECURE CHECK FAIL : aboot" instead. Either way, I get "Fail! (Auth)" and the process ends.
The main reason I'm trying to flash any TAR in general is because it's a 32GB phone but the ROMs I've installed say that there is only about 9GB of internal storage available, which seems like the type of space that a 16GB phone might have. So if there's any way to fix the internal storage space, that'd be great too. Please help me out!

You need to download the tar file again. Sounds like a bad download.
Phone side? You need to put the tar file in the PDA slot
27th June 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #3  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 843

2,492 posts
More
You need at least 4.3 firmware to flash, sounds like you're trying to flash 4.2.2.. As a future note, do not try to flash other device's firmware, it could cause a brick
27th June 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

You need at least 4.3 firmware to flash, sounds like you're trying to flash 4.2.2.. As a future note, do not try to flash other device's firmware, it could cause a brick

That's... embarrassing. I guess I just assumed that since it was the only Odin TAR available on that forum, it must have been the 4.3 TAR. Oof. ;;

I only tried flashing the T-Mobile 4.4.2 TAR because I was assured that the Tmo and Metro S4 were, for almost all intents and purposes, the same phone. That said, I got it back on its feet, so to speak. I flashed the NB4 modem and a rooted stock NB4 ROM, and everything's all peachy. Thanks for the proverbial bop to the side of the head.
27th June 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #5  
Flag Houston

2,492 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supakitsune

That's... embarrassing. I guess I just assumed that since it was the only Odin TAR available on that forum, it must have been the 4.3 TAR. Oof. ;;

I only tried flashing the T-Mobile 4.4.2 TAR because I was assured that the Tmo and Metro S4 were, for almost all intents and purposes, the same phone. That said, I got it back on its feet, so to speak. I flashed the NB4 modem and a rooted stock NB4 ROM, and everything's all peachy. Thanks for the proverbial bop to the side of the head.

Good! And while yes they are practically the same device, it's not good practice to just flash similar devices firmware.
27th June 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #6  
Crystal River
Thanks Meter: 155

579 posts
More
I have Metro and flash everything that T-Mobile Devs put out and I have no issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th June 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #7  
Flag Houston

2,492 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptik210

I have Metro and flash everything that T-Mobile Devs put out and I have no issues.

Roms are fine, we are talking about firmware
27th June 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #8  
Crystal River
Thanks Meter: 155

579 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22

Roms are fine, we are talking about firmware

Oh ok. Aside from that, the NB4 modem works on Metro