Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 44,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating my old hero - how to start?

Tip us?

Elador
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Updating my old hero - how to start?

Hello,

I have an old HTC Hero (GSM) with a very old VillainROM on it, I haven't touched the phone for years. I now wanted to update with this ICS ROM (or potentially another one), however, I was unsure where to start, e.g. update my bootloader or whatever.

I tried copying the linked ROMs zipfile to the SD card, booting into my loader, wipe everything, and then "Install from zip". However, that fails while verifying the zip package.

I then also tried the newest official CM7 nightly for the hero, and that didn't produce above verify error.

Should I update my bootloader or something, or is just the ROM I tried broken? (for other people in that thread it seems to work).

derproblembaer
Old
Thanks Meter 4
What recovery do you use (CWM, AmonRA)?

Maybe you should try a newer one from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1797626

Elador
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by derproblembaer View Post
What recovery do you use (CWM, AmonRA)?

Maybe you should try a newer one from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1797626
@derproblembaer Thanks for getting back to me! Just to close this, the phone wasn't really usable anymore, the touch was not working or acting weird on half the screen.

driverless
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elador View Post
@derproblembaer Thanks for getting back to me! Just to close this, the phone wasn't really usable anymore, the touch was not working or acting weird on half the screen.
Yes exactly, why in the world does this happen? My friends HTC hero also, most of the times the bottom half of the phone does not work (touch). Thought a ROM problem so Flashed different ROM's and still the problem remains. He bought a new phone but he still has it, we could still try and see if we can do anything about that phone.

What can we use it for?

Elador
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverless View Post
Yes exactly, why in the world does this happen? My friends HTC hero also, most of the times the bottom half of the phone does not work (touch). Thought a ROM problem so Flashed different ROM's and still the problem remains. He bought a new phone but he still has it, we could still try and see if we can do anything about that phone.

What can we use it for?
That's interesting! I assumed it was because I haven't been cleaning the screen for years and it was sticky etc., and even after proper cleaning it didn't work anymore. So I thought it was me and I should've taken more care And also, I mean it's really old.
However, maybe it's a Hero problem after all. And after thinking about it, it's not that old - it's from summer 2009 which makes is 5 years old. Hmm.