Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlocked bootloader, flashed Philz, rooted, s-off... Now how do I update?

Tip us?

Genesis Knight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unlocked bootloader, flashed Philz, rooted, s-off... Now how do I update?

Got my HTC One M8 from AT&T yesterday. Been reading these forums and all the tutorials and compilation threads have been very useful. What I've done:

Unlocked the bootloader via htc-dev
Flashed the latest Philz
Used Philz to install SuperSU for root
Achieved s-off
Used Titanium backup to freeze the "HTC DM" app and thereby disable OTA updates

Phew! After wiping the sweat from my forehead (kind of new to much of this), I find out that there have been OTA updates that add considerable functionality to the HTC One such as the Extreme Power Saving mode and a radio upgrade.

So... I'm kind of terrified, since I'd like the new features but I know that with an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF I could majorly screw myself. I've also gone to the effort of installing all my apps and configuring my settings - which took several hours to do - and I feel a bit sick at the idea that I might have to lose it all.

Is there a clear guide or tutorial out there for getting these new firmware/OTA features without losing all my work or bricking the phone? Thanks!

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 26th June 2014 at 04:49 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2795
[Q] Unlocked bootloader, flashed Philz, rooted, s-off... Now how do I update?

Answer: You don't.

My opinion, official OTAs have no place on modded phones. You went through all the effort to enable your phone to flash custom ROMs. So the last thing you want is to install an OTA. If you want OTA, you need to go back to stock recovery. Its a big step backwards, and completely unnecessary.

The features you mentioned can all be applied without OTA. You can just flash a stock rooted version of the 1.58 ROM; or flash a custom ROM based on 1.58. Better yet, flash a custom ROM based on the (non-AT&T) "international" base as IMO they are much better than the bloated, gimped up junk AT&T gives you. In fact, Extreme Power Savings mode was available on the international ROMs a good while before the AT&T OTA started rolling out.

For a new radio, since you are S-off, just go to the radio thread, and download and flash the new radio.

This is the type of thing you did all this for (unlock the bootloader, root, S-off), is it not?
Everything mentioned above can be found on my Index thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2751432

Also, using Titanium Backup, I don't see how it could have taken "several hours" to setup the phone again. Get the paid key (which enables batch functions) if you haven't already - highly recommended if you will be flashing ROMs with any frequency. Using batch backup and restore, it should take about 5 minutes to restore you apps and app data. Then a little while longer to manually configure settings, home screens, etc. I am up and running after flashing a new ROM in 20-30 minutes. Maybe a bit longer if you have a lot of very specific settings. But we're still talking maybe an hour, tops.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Genesis Knight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the detailed help, rep given! I'll check out the threads for the custom ROMs and follow your advice.