Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 51,238 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is ther a noticeable difference between the 2GB vs 3GB RAM version?

Tip us?

catatonix
Old
(Last edited by catatonix; 25th June 2014 at 11:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Is ther a noticeable difference between the 2GB vs 3GB RAM version?

I'm with AT&T and from looking at the variant spec sheet tread it's looking like AT&T will only be offering the 2 GB RAM /16 GB storage model. (I know it's not certain till it's actually available but knowing AT&T it's probably true). I don't really care that the 2/16 model only has 16gig internal storage since there is expandable storage but will there be a noticeable difference in performance between the 2g RAM vs. the 3g RAM. From some youtube reviews some say there is no real noticeable difference. Would just like some opinions to help me decide.
And since the Spec sheet also mentions that T-mobile will probably have the 3/32 version, will the T-mobile LTE bands work without a hitch with AT&T. I would consider buying the phone outright from T-mobile and use on AT&T. And if I did buy the phone with cash would there be an option to get it unlocked for US versions.
And third, does anyone know if T-mobile is less of a pain in the ass about locking the bootloader if it was purchased on contract, It would be worth switching carriers for that.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 26th June 2014 at 09:47 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonix View Post
I'm with AT&T and from looking at the variant spec sheet tread it's looking like AT&T will only be offering the 2 GB RAM /16 GB storage model. (I know it's not certain till it's actually available but knowing AT&T it's probably true). I don't really care that the 2/16 model only has 16gig internal storage since there is expandable storage but will there be a noticeable difference in performance between the 2g RAM vs. the 3g RAM. From some youtube reviews some say there is no real noticeable difference. Would just like some opinions to help me decide.
And since the Spec sheet also mentions that T-mobile will probably have the 3/32 version, will the T-mobile LTE bands work without a hitch with AT&T. I would consider buying the phone outright from T-mobile and use on AT&T. And if I did buy the phone with cash would there be an option to get it unlocked for US versions.
And third, does anyone know if T-mobile is less of a pain in the ass about locking the bootloader if it was purchased on contract, It would be worth switching carriers for that.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.
The performance difference between 2 and 3GB RAM is marginal in every day use, from what i read its only 3-5%. Look here too http://www.mobilegeeks.com/lg-g3-2gb...howdown-video/.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

motenak
Old
Thanks Meter 111
About 1GB!

Protagoras
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
There's probably no noticeable difference as Android handles memory management very well on its own, and will keep open apps in the background until it runs out of memory, then will start to close them without you noticing anything.

The 3GB version can probably keep more apps open in the background, but 2GB is well enough for normal use I'd say.