Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 51,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root and unlocked BL! Now what ROM?

Tip us?

ckfalls
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root and unlocked BL! Now what ROM?

First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

SO easy and worked. Love it

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?

thewraith420
Old
Thanks Meter 18
You can still use the ones that don't support the new bootloader and kernel by downgrading to jb 4.1.2 since your now bootloader unlocked
The Following User Says Thank You to thewraith420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

poppers162
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfalls View Post
First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

SO easy and worked. Love it

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?
I'm running cm11 and I've had little to no lag issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Droid RAZR M all the way! Unlocked-Rooted-Stock KK
The Following User Says Thank You to poppers162 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ezknives
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Kitstalk at droidrzr.com i don't know if I'm allowed to post the link as it requires a registration to download... Always been my favorite...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ezknives For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ckfalls
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

poppers162
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfalls View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?

Cm11 has a working tether setting. I haven't connected anything to the Hotspot but it turns on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Droid RAZR M all the way! Unlocked-Rooted-Stock KK

aaronpw0621
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420 View Post
You can still use the ones that don't support the new bootloader and kernel by downgrading to jb 4.1.2 since your now bootloader unlocked
So the RazrM still can't use current roms even with the bootloader unlocked ??
I'm down with the SIXness

thewraith420
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpw0621 View Post
So the RazrM still can't use current roms even with the bootloader unlocked ??
You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel

aaronpw0621
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel
Just to clarify I am using the Droid Razr M (xt907). I had already taken the ota for 4.4.2 before i used towelroot. I have so far only got one ROM from @dhacker29 to boot. Its a cm11 from him. I can't figure out exactly which ROMs to flash. Is it the ones listed for the moto_msm 8960 or the ones listed for KK???
I'm down with the SIXness

ckfalls
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
So I'm not used to looking for BL/kernel compatability usually I don't see this in the OP for a ROM, typically only see android flavor it based on, "JB" or "kk", which I thought would dictate whether a ROM would work on a device. Guess we need to look in the post for BL/kernel version (both which get updated during an OTA update?)

Like I said CM11 was the only one I knew of that for sure worked post-towelroot, that's why I was looking to see if others knew which other ROMs worked as well.

I know we can check kernel version in setting, if kernel matches a ROM then were bound to have the BL that matches as well, correct?