FORUMS

OnePlus Addresses Reservation List Cheating

Jake Cooper figured out how to bump his place up on OnePlus’ reservation list and … more

OnePlus 2 Benchmark Scores Show Its Muscle

This video by FoneArena contains all the popular benchmarks being tested on the OnePlus 2, … more

Sony’s Emergence in The Middle: Is The Price Right?

Sony’s Electronics Division is not in its best days, and its smartphone … more

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

[Q] Root and unlocked BL! Now what ROM?

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By ckfalls, Member on 27th June 2014, 11:19 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

SO easy and worked. Love it

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?
 
 
28th June 2014, 02:03 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
You can still use the ones that don't support the new bootloader and kernel by downgrading to jb 4.1.2 since your now bootloader unlocked
The Following User Says Thank You to thewraith420 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 02:10 AM |#3  
poppers162's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfalls

First need to shout out the towelroot method for root and BL unlock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

SO easy and worked. Love it

Now that I have root AND unlocked BL, will be grabbing me some TWRP, backing up stock and trying some ROMs.

Question is: which one? I've read on some posts that only 1 or 2 ROMs work with KK-based phones. Is this accurate? I believe one post I read said only CM11 works, and its very laggy.

So which to grab? Do all KK ROMs under the development page work after the towelroot exploit? CM11, CarbonRom, Google Play Edition etc? Also, which has best,most reliable native wifi tether working? Any other big bugs among the ROMs that actually work?

I'm running cm11 and I've had little to no lag issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to poppers162 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 02:31 AM |#4  
ezknives's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 257
 
More
Kitstalk at droidrzr.com i don't know if I'm allowed to post the link as it requires a registration to download... Always been my favorite...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ezknives For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 03:48 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?



Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app
28th June 2014, 04:17 AM |#6  
poppers162's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfalls

Thanks guys. Yeah I know I can downgrade but happy with KK changes, esp full screen over soft keys.

Will look into kitstalk thx. Yeah seems CM11 has good results. Either of these have native WiFi tether working?



Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

Cm11 has a working tether setting. I haven't connected anything to the Hotspot but it turns on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th June 2014, 06:39 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420

You can still use the ones that don't support the new bootloader and kernel by downgrading to jb 4.1.2 since your now bootloader unlocked

So the RazrM still can't use current roms even with the bootloader unlocked ??
29th June 2014, 05:19 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpw0621

So the RazrM still can't use current roms even with the bootloader unlocked ??

You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel
29th June 2014, 07:11 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420

You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel

Just to clarify I am using the Droid Razr M (xt907). I had already taken the ota for 4.4.2 before i used towelroot. I have so far only got one ROM from @dhacker29 to boot. Its a cm11 from him. I can't figure out exactly which ROMs to flash. Is it the ones listed for the moto_msm 8960 or the ones listed for KK???
29th June 2014, 07:22 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewraith420

You can use the new or older roms with unlocked bootloader just now you need to pay attention to what bootloader + kernel your on. The test builds of cm11 coming out won't work on the old bootloader + Kernel and the older ones won't work with the new kk bootloader + kernel

So I'm not used to looking for BL/kernel compatability usually I don't see this in the OP for a ROM, typically only see android flavor it based on, "JB" or "kk", which I thought would dictate whether a ROM would work on a device. Guess we need to look in the post for BL/kernel version (both which get updated during an OTA update?)

Like I said CM11 was the only one I knew of that for sure worked post-towelroot, that's why I was looking to see if others knew which other ROMs worked as well.

I know we can check kernel version in setting, if kernel matches a ROM then were bound to have the BL that matches as well, correct?

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app
29th June 2014, 07:23 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Only ones listed for KK will work for you now since your on the 4.4.2 ota however if you downgrade via fxz to 4.1.2 then you'll able to run the msm 8960 builds currently there are more choices once downgraded.

Downgrade tutorial
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53474077
Last edited by thewraith420; 29th June 2014 at 07:34 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes