Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Titanium Backup, save to external SD card? (E980 AT&T)

OP andygold

27th June 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

186 posts
Searched and found some info on the above in regards to other phones, but the solutions did not work for this phone (or maybe just for me)

Rooted with Towelroot, and Chainfire for the Superuser last week. Installed TiB, and checked in one of its menus to use the external SD card for automatic backups (I believe).

So, I perform a full backup of all apps and data, but I had been having issues with a bad install of Go Launcher so I decide to do a phone reset (to KK 4.4.2) and restore with a fresh OS.

Upon reboot, the phone automatically Dl'ed all of my Google info and apps, contacts, and everything, all by itself. When the phone rebooted, I was surprised to see that I still had root, but without SU. Did another restore just to be sure and reinstalled Towelroot manually. There must have been an update to it since last week as the SU was automatically installed this time and I had SU without needing to install Chainfire. I reinstalled TiB and attempted to do a TiB restore, but learned that all of my backup info had been stored on the INTERNAL SD card and it was all wiped with the phone restore.

So, I go back into TiB settings and try to redirect the storage location to the EXTERNAL SD card by hitting the back button when looking at the file structure, but when I get to the external card, TiB says it's not writable. Some other phone threads mentioned to use the MNT directory but that didn't work either.

So, after all the above, can anyone either talk me through how to get TiB to store externally, or possibly would you provide a link if you know of a thread that allows it to work with our phones (E980 on AT&T). I've tried a few things mentioned on different threads but none of it seems to work!
27th June 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego - Edo. Carabobo
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Strange, I always use the TB for my backups and I have 3 automatic settings and does everything on the SD card without problem. I do not think there is a tutorial for that friend, you already have a backup folder? to copy to the SD memory and let that TB to detect it automatically. Sorry for my poor english
27th June 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Have you tried manually editing the platform.xml as indicated in this post?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617921
The Following User Says Thank You to nugundam For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

186 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_g

Strange, I always use the TB for my backups and I have 3 automatic settings and does everything on the SD card without problem. I do not think there is a tutorial for that friend, you already have a backup folder? to copy to the SD memory and let that TB to detect it automatically. Sorry for my poor english

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugundam

Have you tried manually editing the platform.xml as indicated in this post?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617921

Thanks for the info. I followed the link and tried to modify the platform.xml file but the 3 file editors I used would not save the changes. I kept getting errors. Then I saw a link to an app in the app store, tried it and it worked perfectly!!! It modified the platform.xml (and saved the changes, which I was unable to do). The only thing I then had to do was go back into TiB and manually create a "Titanium Backup" folder in "/storage/external_SD".

I ran a backup and checked the SD card and the backup is there where I had hoped it would be.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
28th June 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
I had the exact opposite experience. The app didn't work for me so I just manually edited the file with Root Explorer. Glad your issue is resolved.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread