Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,459 Members 39,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3rd Party SMS app (wifi calling support)

Tip us?

Wizard Knight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 257
Default 3rd Party SMS app (wifi calling support)

Hey all, I'm looking to try out some 3rd party sms apps. Not in love with the stock one and Hangouts can't send/receive MMS when I'm connected to wifi.

Anybody know of any SMS apps that MMS works while connected to WIFI like the stock app?

(posting this in general rather than Q&A in case others are looking for the same thing in the future).

Thanks all

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Are you asking for an app that sends MMS via WiFi? I don't think that's possible. When I'm connected to WiFi on stock app it uses 4g to send MMS and I have wifi calling on too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

mikeyinid
Old
Thanks Meter 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
Are you asking for an app that sends MMS via WiFi? I don't think that's possible. When I'm connected to WiFi on stock app it uses 4g to send MMS and I have wifi calling on too.

it shouldnt. and actually, if youre mobile radio is on when youre connected to wifi calling something isnt right.
Follow me on Twitter @mikeyinid

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyinid View Post
it shouldnt. and actually, if youre mobile radio is on when youre connected to wifi calling something isnt right.
I think I confused myself lol. Okay, so normally my WiFi calling is set to cellular preferred so most of the time I have cell signal when connected to WiFi. When I'm on WiFi and send a MMS the 4g logo pops up so it never sends MMS on WiFi or at least not when I have a signal. Was op trying to ask for an app that'll send MMS over WiFi calling when he has no cell signal? Also, I think WiFi calling can send regular SMS when there's no cell signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

mikeyinid
Old
Thanks Meter 2,485
Quote:
I think I confused myself lol. Okay, so normally my WiFi calling is set to cellular preferred so most of the time I have cell signal when connected to WiFi. When I'm on WiFi and send a MMS the 4g logo pops up so it never sends MMS on WiFi or at least not when I have a signal. Was op trying to ask for an app that'll send MMS over WiFi calling when he has no cell signal? Also, I think WiFi calling can send regular SMS when there's no cell signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

when youre connected to wifi calling your signal bars should be empty with an x signifying you have no mobile radio. wifi calling handles calls/sms/mms. and any 3rd party messaging app other than hangouts should also work the same way since they actually use the stock messaging app still.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyinid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
when youre connected to wifi calling your signal bars should be empty with an x signifying you have no mobile radio. wifi calling handles calls/sms/mms. and any 3rd party messaging app other than hangouts should also work the same way since they actually use the stock messaging app still.
Yep you're right just tested it myself. Thanks. Switched to WiFi preferred, signal went to zero and I was able to send both SMS and MMS from stock messaging app

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403930410441.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2821594  

mikeyinid
Old
Thanks Meter 2,485
Quote:
Yep you're right just tested it myself. Thanks. Switched to WiFi preferred, signal went to zero and I was able to send both SMS and MMS from stock messaging app

anytime i can be on wifi calling i am. tmo service in my area isnt great even tho we have lte. mms sends almost instantly over wifi and call quality is much better.

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
anytime i can be on wifi calling i am. tmo service in my area isnt great even tho we have lte. mms sends almost instantly over wifi and call quality is much better.
Oh gotcha. It's gotten much better where I live. Now when I make calls a lot of times it says HD in the bottom right. Do you know what that means? At first I thought maybe it was volte but I think that's only implemented in a handful of cities

mikeyinid
Old
(Last edited by mikeyinid; 28th June 2014 at 06:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2,485
Quote:
Oh gotcha. It's gotten much better where I live. Now when I make calls a lot of times it says HD in the bottom right. Do you know what that means? At first I thought maybe it was volte but I think that's only implemented in a handful of cities

HD means HD calling. T-Mo has it in places and it supposedly makes call quality much better. I havent seen it here yet so I cant comment but Ive read tech site reviews that say its legit. I think Sprint has it too.

According to the T-Mo website HD calls are nationwide now. If thats the case and we have it here, it sucks. Call quality is awful here, echoes and random noise during calls.