Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 46,722 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T LTE on Verizon Variant?

Tip us?

cloudraker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default AT&T LTE on Verizon Variant?

Ok so I know that the Verizon M8 is unlocked and works on AT&T. I'm also aware that HSPA+ is supposed to be as good as it gets which is fine with me.because for the most part my service is terrible on AT&T as I live in a little Podunk town that doesn't have LTE. That being said the cities to the north and south of me both have LTE. I recently acquired the Verizon M8 and have made several trips to.both places and the phone always just shows H with the signal. Today however I happened to look at my phone and it's showing LTE, not only that but everything.is functioning. Internet, sending and.receiving sms and mms, and making calls all works.

Is there something.obvious I'm missing? To the best of my knowledge I shouldn't be getting LTE and my speed test pegged me at about 8 down but signal was weak so that doesn't surprise me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403721757433.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2817309  

cloudraker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Sorry for the random punctuation, I'm still getting used to this keyboard.

TenderloinShadow
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Why did you buy a Verizon M8 to use on AT&T? If you're on AT&T, get the AT&T version. There's a reason carrier specific versions are sold, and it's not only because the carriers are evil demons out to butt rape your wallet.

The network designs of Verizon and AT&T are radically different, and even if the M8 has the hardware for both the different variants are designed out of the box to only work with one.

So, even if you did get it to work with AT&T's network, who knows what kind of problems you may be experiencing. It may just be network congestion, it may be something else. Point it, it's tough to troubleshoot when you bought a device from the wrong carrier, as you just introduced a whole new crazy variable into the equation.

cloudraker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderloinShadow View Post
Why did you buy a Verizon M8 to use on AT&T? If you're on AT&T, get the AT&T version. There's a reason carrier specific versions are sold, and it's not only because the carriers are evil demons out to butt rape your wallet.

The network designs of Verizon and AT&T are radically different, and even if the M8 has the hardware for both the different variants are designed out of the box to only work with one.

So, even if you did get it to work with AT&T's network, who knows what kind of problems you may be experiencing. It may just be network congestion, it may be something else. Point it, it's tough to troubleshoot when you bought a device from the wrong carrier, as you just introduced a whole new crazy variable into the equation.
Slow down there captain. I'm not complaining about service issues or anything of the sort. I'm questioning whether it's actually possible that I could be getting AT&T LTE on the Verizon Variant. The circumstances behind why I have the Verizon version are completely irrelevant. I have an s5 I can use if I want and if it makes you happy it is the AT&T version.

I understand the differences between AT&T and Verizon's infrastructure, but it just so happens that the Verizon m8 has everything I need to function perfectly for me. So please take the time to actually address what I was asking instead of judging me for not purchasing the device you think I should have.

Roefastford
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudraker View Post
Slow down there captain. I'm not complaining about service issues or anything of the sort. I'm questioning whether it's actually possible that I could be getting AT&T LTE on the Verizon Variant. The circumstances behind why I have the Verizon version are completely irrelevant. I have an s5 I can use if I want and if it makes you happy it is the AT&T version.

I understand the differences between AT&T and Verizon's infrastructure, but it just so happens that the Verizon m8 has everything I need to function perfectly for me. So please take the time to actually address what I was asking instead of judging me for not purchasing the device you think I should have.

Bravo just another basher that was quick to judge and his only intent was to try to put you down. It sucks that you cant erase peoples comments off of your posting because its posts like that that you should be able to delete. My philosophy is if you cant say anything nice please dont say anything at all. Some people just love to put down others or their opinions, questions or comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roefastford For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]