Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 44,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I root HD+?

Tip us?

woneil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Should I root HD+?

I'm not a big fan of Apple and their expensive and protective policies. I also have a Nook Color which I rooted. So when my wife suggested she wanted an Ipad, I instead bought her a Nook HD+. I told her "Its got the same screen, expandable memory, costs less, etc., etc." For the most part she has NOT been too happy with it since it randomly stalls, requires frequent restarts, and all the other problems noted, but she has stuck with it and has found some features she likes. My latest disappointment is the external bluetooth keyboard I just bought for it. A Logitech Y-R0034. I finally got it to pair usign a free Japanese app - bluetooth pairing. It seems to be paring and connecting just fine. The only problem is that it does not work. If I try to type something, the default soft keyboard appears, and it is not possible to change the input method.

I am thinking I might as well root the pad. What sort of issues might I encounter. Will the HD+ become even more unstable, will Bluettoth still not work, etc? Or if someone knows how to get the keyboard workignt hat would be great. Any advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

irimolsjik572
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I think rooting the HD+ makes everything much faster. I would recommend installing CM11. Everything is believe it or not more stable on CM. Not sure why the keyboard wouldn't work, I have never tried a keyboard on my Nook.
Sprint Galaxy S3

ROM
PA 4.5 Beta 1 Build 2 w/ART

Kernel
BMS Kernel Build 2014-08-06

History
2012: Kindle Fire(Given Away) /Motorola Droid (Lost) /IdeaTab A2109 (Traded For GT2) /
2013: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE (Bricked) /Razr M (Sold) /Galaxy S3 (Current Phone) /Sero 7 Pro (Broken) /
2014: Nook HD+ (Battery over-heated)

woneil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by irimolsjik572 View Post
I think rooting the HD+ makes everything much faster. I would recommend installing CM11. Everything is believe it or not more stable on CM. Not sure why the keyboard wouldn't work, I have never tried a keyboard on my Nook.
Thanks for the advice

Jann F
Old
Thanks Meter 121

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by irimolsjik572 View Post
...blah blah try 10.2 first blah blah blah...

Sorry, but CM11 seems not to be that "problem free" atm to recommend it.
Try the last CM10.2 Stable, I'm running it for two months now after downgrading from CM11.
MEH.

extrem0
Old
Thanks Meter 304
I tried a keyboard for iPad (case) and it worked great with cm11. The brand is called hipstreet if I remember correctly.
Sensation 4G // CM10.1 AOSP 4.2.2 Jellybean by albinoman887

myTouch 4G [bad emmc&screen] // Dark Jelly Belly v.2 w/ Frosted Cherry Kernel -- sold

Milestone A853 // CyanogenMod 7.2.4e by kabaldan

lmacmil
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann F View Post
...blah blah try 10.2 first blah blah blah...

Sorry, but CM11 seems not to be that "problem free" atm to recommend it.
Try the last CM10.2 Stable, I'm running it for two months now after downgrading from CM11.
I agree. I am running 10.2.1 on my HD and my wife is running it on her HD+. I tried CM11 on my HD but I don't think it's quite ready for prime-time, especially for someone who is not a technical user.

Jann F
Old
Thanks Meter 121

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrem0 View Post
I tried a keyboard for iPad (case) and it worked great with cm11. The brand is called hipstreet if I remember correctly.
HID drivers should work on CM10.2.1 the same as in CM11, so it "should" pair without any problem on AOSP/CM.
MEH.

wellersl
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann F View Post
I keep coming back to 10.2 Stable - mostly for Tablet UI.

But I still have the same problem with my HD+ (all ROMs) that I have with my Nook Tablet BNTV250 (all ROMs). Delayed responses to touches. It seems to be exaggerated when using browsers (all browsers). Setting the governor to Performance makes all the difference, but the loss of stability prevents using it as a permanent solution (freezes and crashes).

Having tried everything I can think of and read about to try, I've concluded it's just the nature of the beast. To wit: all the effort that's been put into LagFix (fstrim), Touchscreen sensitivity experimentation, etc...
American.
Veteran.
Patriot.