Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can all T-Mobile HTC One's be S-OFFed for use on AT&T network ?

OP abhishekk89

26th June 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
So my ultimate goal is to buy a used HTC One for use on AT&T network. And for some weird reason, all the used HTC One's in my area are T-Mobile and AT&T ones are hard to come by. For me to use a T-Mobile HTC One on AT&T's network, I understand that I need to gain S-OFF and change the CID (correct me if I'm wrong). So I was wondering unlike T-Mobile HTC One M8's (where only some phones can be S-OFFed), is it possible to obtain S-OFF on all T-Mobile M7 phones using Rumrunner method (or any other method) ?
Another question I have is looking at the network specs, I think I should be able to use T-Mobile's variant on AT&T network with full capabilities (4G LTE, 3G, 2G, etc, etc). Please let me know if that is indeed possible.
EDIT: Ignore my last question about whether AT&T network will work on T-Mobile's HTC One. I found the answer to that, by doing some searching in the forums

Appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!!
Last edited by abhishekk89; 26th June 2014 at 10:14 PM.
27th June 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 249

1,001 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekk89

So my ultimate goal is to buy a used HTC One for use on AT&T network. And for some weird reason, all the used HTC One's in my area are T-Mobile and AT&T ones are hard to come by. For me to use a T-Mobile HTC One on AT&T's network, I understand that I need to gain S-OFF and change the CID (correct me if I'm wrong). So I was wondering unlike T-Mobile HTC One M8's (where only some phones can be S-OFFed), is it possible to obtain S-OFF on all T-Mobile M7 phones using Rumrunner method (or any other method) ?
Another question I have is looking at the network specs, I think I should be able to use T-Mobile's variant on AT&T network with full capabilities (4G LTE, 3G, 2G, etc, etc). Please let me know if that is indeed possible.
EDIT: Ignore my last question about whether AT&T network will work on T-Mobile's HTC One. I found the answer to that, by doing some searching in the forums

Appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!!

It has nothing to do with being S-OFF To use a T-Mobile HTC One on AT&T, you need to have the phone SIM Unlocked. This is completely different from being bootloader unlocked or S-OFF. You can try to get T-Mobile to give you the SIM Unlock code, or you can purchase a code from different resources online. When you get that code, you put in the AT&T SIM, the phone will pop up with a dialog where you enter the unlock code, and you're done. The phone will now work on AT&T. You'd just need to enter the AT&T APN information in the settings.
Now, if you want to flash it with the AT&T stock ROM, then yes, you'd need to S-OFF and unlock the bootloader, but that is only necessary if you don't want to run the T-Mobile ROM (they're both the same save for the carrier-specific apps).
27th June 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Lafayette, IN
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzi0719

It has nothing to do with being S-OFF To use a T-Mobile HTC One on AT&T, you need to have the phone SIM Unlocked. This is completely different from being bootloader unlocked or S-OFF. You can try to get T-Mobile to give you the SIM Unlock code, or you can purchase a code from different resources online. When you get that code, you put in the AT&T SIM, the phone will pop up with a dialog where you enter the unlock code, and you're done. The phone will now work on AT&T. You'd just need to enter the AT&T APN information in the settings.
Now, if you want to flash it with the AT&T stock ROM, then yes, you'd need to S-OFF and unlock the bootloader, but that is only necessary if you don't want to run the T-Mobile ROM (they're both the same save for the carrier-specific apps).

Thanks Fuzi0719! Appreciate your reply. Now the reason I ask if S-OFF is possible or not is because, T-Mobile will unlock it only if you have their service for 40 odd days. Also, I really don't want to pay for any unlock services (guess being a college student makes me a cheapskate ). So my third option would then be S-OFFing right ? That's why I wanted to make sure all T-Mobile M7's can be S-OFFed (unlike the M8's where only some phones can be S-OFFed using Firewater method).
28th June 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #4  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 249

1,001 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekk89

Thanks Fuzi0719! Appreciate your reply. Now the reason I ask if S-OFF is possible or not is because, T-Mobile will unlock it only if you have their service for 40 odd days. Also, I really don't want to pay for any unlock services (guess being a college student makes me a cheapskate ). So my third option would then be S-OFFing right ? That's why I wanted to make sure all T-Mobile M7's can be S-OFFed (unlike the M8's where only some phones can be S-OFFed using Firewater method).

You're still not understanding the difference between S-OFF and SIM Unlock. Just because your phone gets S-OFF does NOT make it SIM Unlocked. You might be S-OFF but it will still be SIM locked to T-Mobile. SIM Unlocking and S-OFF are completely different things, one does not affect the other. If you want to use the T-Mobile phone on AT&T, it MUST BE SIM Unlocked, whether by T-Mobile or from getting the code from somewhere else. There is no way around that.
If you are not a customer of T-Mobile, but you purchased a T-Mobile phone, they will provide you the unlock code for free as long as the phone is not reported stolen or was sold while still owed money to T-Mobile. T-Mobile will look at the IMEI number and if it is "in the clear", they will give you the unlock code.

EDIT: Just to clarify, even if you S-OFF, change the CID to the AT&T model, and use the AT&T RUU to flash the firmware and system to the AT&T ROM, if you do not get the SIM Unlock code, the phone will still not work with the AT&T SIM. There is no way around that but to get the unlock code from either T-Mobile or another service. I got my unlock code from unlockcode247.com for the huge price of $3.70. If you can't afford to shell out less than $4 for the code, you can't afford a smartphone, especially at the prices AT&T charges for service.
Last edited by Fuzi0719; 29th June 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread