FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DETAILED GUIDE][CM11] Build your own Font app

1,207 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,040

By codekidX, Senior Member on 28th June 2014, 06:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Mod delete no contributions anymore.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to codekidX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift codekidX Ad-Free

28th June 2014, 06:13 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Delete this thread
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to codekidX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift codekidX Ad-Free
28th June 2014, 06:28 PM |#3  
Flag Weaslhausen
Thanks Meter: 333

More
Very nice! 2 thumbs up!!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheWeasl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheWeasl Ad-Free
30th June 2014, 03:53 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Hi, codekidX. So I tried to make a font on my own but ran into a problem. I followed your tutorial all the way to Step 4: Build app.

When I got here, after pressing "Build > Make Project", I don't get a "Gradle Invocation successful" message nor an apk for my font. Instead, I get a "Gradle build finished" and when I go into my "package > app > build" folder, I don't see an "apk" folder but "generated" and "intermediates."

Any clue on how to fix this? Thanks!

edit: I figured it out! Apparently, Make Project doesn't build APKs on the newest versions of Android Studio, so you have to build from command line. Here's the link to input the correct commands to build the APK.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tflogic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tflogic Ad-Free
30th June 2014, 06:06 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflogic

Hi, codekidX. So I tried to make a font on my own but ran into a problem. I followed your tutorial all the way to Step 4: Build app.

When I got here, after pressing "Build > Make Project", I don't get a "Gradle Invocation successful" message nor an apk for my font. Instead, I get a "Gradle build finished" and when I go into my "package > app > build" folder, I don't see an "apk" folder but "generated" and "intermediates."

Any clue on how to fix this? Thanks!

edit: I figured it out! Apparently, Make Project doesn't build APKs on the newest versions of Android Studio, so you have to build from command line. Here's the link to input the correct commands to build the APK.

Ohh I will update the guide and Android Studio , did the font work good?
thank you for pointing out the error

I will update the guide with font-family tutorial soon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codekidX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift codekidX Ad-Free
30th June 2014, 08:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by codekidX

Ohh I will update the guide and Android Studio , did the font work good?
thank you for pointing out the error

I will update the guide with font-family tutorial soon

Oh it wasn't an error at all, just a difference in versions apparently. Here's the discussion I found about Make Project and building apks.

Unfortunately, I got a package parsing error: "There is a problem parsing the package" when I tried to run the apk on my phone. Since this is past my own understanding in Android, I quit and just went ahead and installed the Android L font from your Project Sparky :P
30th June 2014, 09:30 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflogic

Oh it wasn't an error at all, just a difference in versions apparently. Here's the discussion I found about Make Project and building apks.

Unfortunately, I got a package parsing error: "There is a problem parsing the package" when I tried to run the apk on my phone. Since this is past my own understanding in Android, I quit and just went ahead and installed the Android L font from your Project Sparky :P

parsing error because you might have not set minimum required sdk to 4.4 and target sdk 4.4
30th June 2014, 07:59 PM |#8  
Flag Gotham
Thanks Meter: 839

More
does writing regular or thin or condensed in fonts.xml make any difference??
for example I have a regular style font but i don't write regular in fonts.xml and just write the font name
for example in guide it says crayon-regular.ttf
but I don't write regular I just write crayon.ttf
will this make any difference??
and if I have a thin style font but I don't mention abc-thin.ttf and only write abc.ttf will it not display the font in thin style??
please explain

edit : here is one of my fonts.xml which i am using without any problems. and every pack that I made is in the same way i.e only font name and no suffix of regular/thin/condensed etc

REVENGE SOLVES EVERYTHING
1st July 2014, 10:34 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonraylee

does writing regular or thin or condensed in fonts.xml make any difference??
for example I have a regular style font but i don't write regular in fonts.xml and just write the font name
for example in guide it says crayon-regular.ttf
but I don't write regular I just write crayon.ttf
will this make any difference??
and if I have a thin style font but I don't mention abc-thin.ttf and only write abc.ttf will it not display the font in thin style??
please explain

edit : here is one of my fonts.xml which i am using without any problems. and every pack that I made is in the same way i.e only font name and no suffix of regular/thin/condensed etc

Hello, I have explained it in the 2nd post. so you need to name it regular so that it replaces the regular font of the system
ie: Roboto-Regular.ttf inside android system
1st July 2014, 11:31 AM |#10  
Flag Gotham
Thanks Meter: 839

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by codekidX

Hello, I have explained it in the 2nd post. so you need to name it regular so that it replaces the regular font of the system
ie: Roboto-Regular.ttf inside android system

I am sorry but I don't understand the need to do so. I am not writing any suffix like thin/regular etc to the font name and they show up perfectly in the device.

do you mean by adding such suffixes the font adapts accordingly??
like let's say that there is a text
Heading
Sub Heading
Text
so if I include the thin,regular,light and condensed fonts the font will adapt the text accordingly
Heading (bold)
Sub heading (regular)
Text (light)
and if I don't add the thin,regular,light fonts then only the included font is applied everywhere??

I know this is confusing but please tell me why should we be adding a family set while a single font (as mentioned in the first post) was doing the job perfectly??

1st July 2014, 03:32 PM |#11  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 719

More
Thank you very much!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)