Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New update and 5Ghz WiFi radio

Tip us?

mnlv
Old
(Last edited by mnlv; 28th June 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default New update and 5Ghz WiFi radio

I have two fire TVs which I updated to the new firmware yesterday. One of the units cannot see my 5Ghz network after update.
I did factory reset and no change. Then I pushed the previous firmware and the problem solved. Updating again breaks the 5Ghz network. I think there is a new radio on the updated firmware that making the problem.

the strange thing is my other updated unit connects fine to the 5Ghz router.

bkdg100
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default wifi radio 5ghz

latest firmware and root , just checked my 5ghz is going just fine.

kairnage
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlv View Post
I have two fire TVs which I updated to the new firmware yesterday. One of the units cannot see my 5Ghz network after update.
I did factory reset and no change. Then I pushed the previous firmware and the problem solved. Updating again breaks the 5Ghz network. I think there is a new radio on the updated firmware that making the problem.

the strange thing is my other updated unit connects fine to the 5Ghz router.
We have to be a little careful because it would not be the first time a manufacturer makes a minor hardware release within a product line. It could explain the rollout. Not saying that's what happened but it might be interesting to install a sys info app and compare the drivers for the wifi.

mnlv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
what app do u suggest for me to try?
I was playing with different options today. I was able to connect to 5GHz on the new firmware when I changed the channel on my router from 44 to 149. I don't have any interference on 44 and my other FTV is working with both channels on the new firmware. Is it possible I have a defective wifi hardware?

I bought both of my FTVs from staples one in store and the other online. so may be they are not from the same batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairnage View Post
We have to be a little careful because it would not be the first time a manufacturer makes a minor hardware release within a product line. It could explain the rollout. Not saying that's what happened but it might be interesting to install a sys info app and compare the drivers for the wifi.

kairnage
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlv View Post
what app do u suggest for me to try?
I was playing with different options today. I was able to connect to 5GHz on the new firmware when I changed the channel on my router from 44 to 149. I don't have any interference on 44 and my other FTV is working with both channels on the new firmware. Is it possible I have a defective wifi hardware?

I bought both of my FTVs from staples one in store and the other online. so may be they are not from the same batch.
Yeah not seeing and problems connecting are two different things. Since it can see and connect I doubt there is any difference.. As far as the channel change working it could be interference. Do you have a 5.8ghz phone? They won't show on a wifi analyzer but but can interfere while your wifi still shows strong signal.

A simple test would be swap places between the two FTV and see if the problem follows the unit or is because of the location.
The Following User Says Thank You to kairnage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]