Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will all the S5 models work on any network?

Tip us?
 
fffft
Old
#11  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 330
Posts: 1,181
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo009 View Post
The Asian models do not have LTE antenna on them.

That's a sweeping statment. And incorrect. Some asian phones may not use LTE, but many asian countries like Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Australia, etc do have LTE antennae.

.
 
2ndcarpenter
Old
#12  
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 58
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seoul
That's interesting. I was unaware. So EDGE would be the high speed data there I suppose?

Sent from my SM-G900K using XDA Free mobile app
 
diablo009
Old
#13  
diablo009's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1343
Posts: 5,534
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndcarpenter View Post
That's interesting. I was unaware. So EDGE would be the high speed data there I suppose?

Sent from my SM-G900K using XDA Free mobile app
There is until HSPDA/4G. But no LTE.

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft View Post
That's a sweeping statment. And incorrect. Some asian phones may not use LTE, but many asian countries like Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Australia, etc do have LTE antennae.

.
The reason I gave for that is 'cos I know S3 in Americas version had 2 cores and LTE, wherein Asia version had 4 cores and no LTE. Maybe things changed in S5.


T Mobile Galaxy S5: [ROM] AllianceRom - Build 2

AT&T Galaxy S5: [ROM] Stock Rooted


All Infuse modems individually packed into CWM flashable packages


Android Memory Management
Customizing Icons

Clicking "THANKS" is the simplest and easiest way of showing appreciation.
 
fffft
Old
#14  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 330
Posts: 1,181
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo009 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft
That's a sweeping statment. And incorrect. Some asian phones may not use LTE, but many asian countries like Japan, Korea, Phillipines, Australia, etc do have LTE antennae
The reason I gave for that is 'cos I know S3 in Americas version had 2 cores and LTE, wherein Asia version had 4 cores and no LTE. Maybe things changed in S5.
Well again what you say is only correct for certain countries in asia. Not to single you out but there is a lot of misinformation, usually assumptions on this subject and it's productive to clarify the facts.

There were both LTE and non-LTE versions of the Exynos (4 core) S3. The GT-I9300[N/T], SHV-E210K/L/S and SGH-N035 had 4 cores and LTE and the GT-I9300[N] had 4 cores without LTE support. Not to mention that various asian counties like Japan and Australia use the dual core Qualcomm S3 with LTE. So it's not as clearly delineated as you believe.

You also suggested that it costs more to add additional frequency band support to a S5 variant. But this isn't so because the S5 uses WRL-1625 transceiver chipset which has unified support for all GSM and LTE bands. So it costs nothing extra in hardware to add additional bands.

One could argue that omitting secondary parts such as an antenna in a variant intended for a region that doesn't use LTE at all (if such exists) could make unified support moot. But the reality is that increased manufacturing and logistical costs of changing the hardware provisioning on variant handsets is usually prohibitive. It's generally believed that band limitations between variants reside in firmware with the purpose of detering grey market sales and carrier churn.

.
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fffft
Old
#15  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 330
Posts: 1,181
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndcarpenter View Post
That's interesting. I was unaware. So EDGE would be the high speed data there I suppose?
No, most of the non-LTE asian carriers are using HSPA+ networks which are considerably faster than Edge. The faster HSPA+ implentations are characterized as 42 Mbps networks, which is as fast as some LTE footprints. Advanced LTE rollouts however can double those speeds.

.
 
fffft
Old
#16  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 330
Posts: 1,181
Join Date: Jul 2013
I had several people ask me about real world LTE speeds. All I can say is that speeds are highly dependent on carrier networks and will vary considerably between carriers and quite a bit by location as well. One LTE network might see speeds < 5 Mbps while another may be twenty times that fast.

I am seeing 60 Mbps typical speeds with my LTE and ~ 90 Mbps with a strong signal in larger cities. Carrier aggregation which is just rolling out now (and supported by the S5) should see some networks achieving 125+ Mbps speeds.

.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes