Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] privacy aware "google free" rom for GT-I9195?

Tip us?
 
No_Signal
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default [Q] privacy aware "google free" rom for GT-I9195?

Hello,

I'm going to take the jump to a custom rom on my s4 mini. Yet I've tried to enforce my privacy on a non-rooted samsung android 4.2.2 with NoRoot Firewall, SRT: AppGuard and F-Droid apps.
From my own search OmniROM would be the one I'd like to go for but it is not available to the s4 mini. Next one wold be Replicant that is neither available to the s4mini. CyanogenMod + freecyngn would help with the proprietary parts, something I'm also looking for (as some custom roms use e.g. Nova launcher) but doesn't get rid off googles own call back/tracking/identification services in use (I don't/won't use).

Thanks for your help in advance!
 
chemicalrage
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 682
Posts: 1,081
Join Date: Oct 2011
I am curious, what do you use for email? your own email server?

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (I9192 Duos)
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 - Rooted
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.6
 
No_Signal
Old
(Last edited by No_Signal; 27th June 2014 at 12:12 PM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalrage View Post
I am curious, what do you use for email? your own email server?
a German email provider via pop3, encrypted with PFS and DANE/DNSSEC, ip-stripping, anonymous payment, no sale/trade of data, their Linux-server encrypted with dm-crypt/LUKS, internal connections encryted with SSH and TLS, harddrives (mails on it) encrypted therefor too, etc.
 
chemicalrage
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 682
Posts: 1,081
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Signal View Post
a German email provider via pop3, encrypted with PFS and DANE/DNSSEC, ip-stripping, anonymous payment, no sale/trade of data, their Linux-server encrypted with dm-crypt/LUKS, internal connections encryted with SSH and TLS, harddrives (mails on it) encrypted therefor too, etc.
woah...that's crazy. What OS do you run on your PC/Laptop? Did you check out http://prism-break.org/en/ ?

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (I9192 Duos)
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 - Rooted
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.6
 
No_Signal
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2014
I don't want to go into this too much as it might become rather a positional discussion/debate on principles.
In no way I'm speaking for everyone here, don't mean to offend anyone and if it helps read it as my personal opinion:
Most likely Germans (Europeans) have another view on privacy due to their history and experience and are sensible to it.
[censoring myself and cutting it down to] a hypothesis what for Americans is their right of freedom of speech, is for Germans right of privacy which threatened.


Back to topic please
 
sysKin
Old
#6  
sysKin's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 33
Join Date: Sep 2013
If I understand correctly, any ROM that doesn't have gapps built in (which is most/all bigger releases) will do what you want. Just don't install gapps manually
 
chris42too
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 31
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Signal View Post
Hello,

I'm going to take the jump to a custom rom on my s4 mini. Yet I've tried to enforce my privacy on a non-rooted samsung android 4.2.2 with NoRoot Firewall, SRT: AppGuard and F-Droid apps.
From my own search OmniROM would be the one I'd like to go for but it is not available to the s4 mini. Next one wold be Replicant that is neither available to the s4mini. CyanogenMod + freecyngn would help with the proprietary parts, something I'm also looking for (as some custom roms use e.g. Nova launcher) but doesn't get rid off googles own call back/tracking/identification services in use (I don't/won't use).

Thanks for your help in advance!
Would be interested if you find something. So far I did not have luck, so running a patchwork of privacy extenions
- cyanogenmod
- freecyngn
- xprivacy
- afwall+

I am as far as possible away from any google apps, but even every other app is pretty much gathering data they won't need to function.
Funny side effect is extended battery life, since a lot of the syncing and data usage is cut out.

You might also look into compiling and doing some changes to cyanogenmod yourself, as getting strong ciphers otherwise is pretty hard.

Regards
Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris42too For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
No_Signal
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
If I understand correctly, any ROM that doesn't have gapps built in (which is most/all bigger releases) will do what you want. Just don't install gapps manually
Nope, that's not correct - even without gapps your android mobile will phone home to google. There are still parts of the system that are open source and communicate with Google (eg. AGPS and captive portal check). These are just some examples.

Quote:
Though CyanogenMod always claimed to be open-source, there were only few versions that had an open userspace (Some drivers and firmware have always been proprietary, but it's not CMs fault).

The first CM version I ever installed on a device was CM7 and it contains koush's proprietary ROM Manager app. CyanogenMod 9 seemed to have no proprietary parts, but since CM10 they included Google Analytics Client library (libGoogleAnalyticsV2.jar) within cmstats in the settings app (so it's not even possible to disable it). In CyanogenMod 10.1 CMAccount was included. It relies heavily on Google's Cloud Messaging service and includes the proprietary Google Play Services Client library (google-play-services.jar).

There are some people here at xda (including myself) that installed CyanogenMod because it does not ship GAPPS and is a fully (except vendor files) open-source and free rom. Since i noticed it's not, i started building CM without these closed-source stuff, but it's a pity to do so. That's when the idea of freecyngn started.

[TOOL/SCRIPT] freecyngn - Removing proprietary userspace parts from CM10+
The Following User Says Thank You to No_Signal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
phz.
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jun 2014
Being completely anonymously in this world never was an option for me because it simply takes too much energy.
However, since I already have all applications I need there's really no sense left in using gapps right now, they annoy me.

I can't contribute much for the current problem of privacy but want to throw in some hope for the future (availible from 2015):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo...alileo_project
 
No_Signal
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 20
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phz. View Post
Being completely anonymously in this world never was an option for me because it simply takes too much energy.
However, since I already have all applications I need there's really no sense left in using gapps right now, they annoy me.

I can't contribute much for the current problem of privacy but want to throw in some hope for the future (availible from 2015):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo...alileo_project
The Galileo Project might become one part of the puzzle.
Something I'm looking forward to is Liberate your Android device.

The Following User Says Thank You to No_Signal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes