Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installing Kit Kat on a Nook HD

Tip us?
 
Robotech_Master
Old
(Last edited by Robotech_Master; 31st May 2014 at 11:36 PM.) Reason: Typo fix.
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Dec 2013
Lightbulb Installing Kit Kat on a Nook HD

I went ahead and took a crack at banging out a user-friendly guide to installing Kit Kat on the Nook HD.

If you're looking for a guide, check it out. Hopefully I didn't make any show-stopper mistakes. (If I did, let me know and I'll fix them.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotech_Master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lmacmil
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 158
Join Date: Dec 2013
Looks good. I'm on 10.1.3 but may give KK a try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
 
pezhore
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 76
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I went ahead and took a crack at banging out a user-friendly guide to installing Kit Kat on the Nook HD.

If you're looking for a guide, check it out. Hopefully I didn't make any show-stopper mistakes. (If I did, let me know and I'll fix them.)
How have you been liking Kit Kat on the Nook? I'm looking for something to replace my old HP Touchpad for kitchen duties. Is it snappy? Worth the upgrade?
 
Robotech_Master
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezhore View Post
How have you been liking Kit Kat on the Nook? I'm looking for something to replace my old HP Touchpad for kitchen duties. Is it snappy? Worth the upgrade?
It's perfectly responsive, bearing in mind that it's dual core, not quad core. Occasionally you run into a split second or so of lag when launching a program, but I've never noticed any input lag from moment to moment. (Unlike with my old Zeepad, where half the time it froze up when you were tapping on the keyboard.) As far as graphics intensive stuff goes, it streams media just fine and I'm able to run Plants vs. Zombies 2 on it pretty well. (At least, I was under Jelly Bean; haven't tried it since the Kit Kat upgrade.) I use this case with it.

If you can snag a Nook HD for cheap, by all means go for it. I'm not sure I'd pay the $129 for it new, especially if you're going to void the warranty by upgrading to Kit Kat anyway. But if you can find it under $100 on eBay or whatever, go for it. Great tablet for the money. Pretty sturdy, durable construction too.
 
Korgy
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 43
Join Date: Mar 2014
It really is one of the best deals out there. Even a certified pre-owned HD that costs around $90 comes with a one year warranty.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using Tapatalk
 
Robotech_Master
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgy View Post
It really is one of the best deals out there. Even a certified pre-owned HD that costs around $90 comes with a one year warranty.

Sent from my BN Nook HD using Tapatalk
Of course, if you get one with a one-year warranty on it, you're effectively tossing that warranty out by putting Kit Kat on it.
 
lmacmil
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 158
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Of course, if you get one with a one-year warranty on it, you're effectively tossing that warranty out by putting Kit Kat on it.
Not necessarily if you can restore the original ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app
 
Robotech_Master
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 14
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
Not necessarily if you can restore the original ROM.
Which doesn't help a lot if your Nook HD breaks in such a way that you can't restore the original ROM.
 
jpisini
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 224
Posts: 1,140
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Which doesn't help a lot if your Nook HD breaks in such a way that you can't restore the original ROM.
Mine fell down a flight of concrete and steel stairs no telling what was on it as it was beyond shattered and that was with a case and screen protector. No problems getting a new one with the extended warranty

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Free mobile app
 
Corkerman
Old
(Last edited by Corkerman; 28th June 2014 at 10:11 PM.)
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Melbourne Florida
Why does it give me the error "cant mount /sdcard"? It's FAT32 storage and it won't let me access it

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more