Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 51,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tweaked brightness settings - battery saving and readable (edit through CM settings)

Tip us?

Rufus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Tweaked brightness settings - battery saving and readable (edit through CM settings)

I've come up with some great (I think so..) brightness settings for the Razr M. I worked on this to make sure of battery savings while remaining comfortably readable under any light conditions. So here they are if you are interested in having a go:

0 lux - 4% screen brightness
2 lux - 4%
3 lux - 6%
7 lux - 8%
22 lux - 10%
63 lux - 14%
180 lux - 22%
511 lux - 31%
1447 lux - 43%
4095 lux - 57%
11585 lux - 74%
32768 to infinity - 95%

You have to edit them in manually through CM settings, attached is the smooth graph of the outcome (from CM itself):

One thing that has annoyed me on any phone I've had is the auto brightness settings, so I did a bit a research into how the human eye perceives light increase, and its based roughly on log(lux), increasing screen brightness by ^2.5 each step. Result is that I wrote an excel sheet (also attached) with some cool maths where you can adjust some variables to tailor an auto-brightness curve to your taste.

I made a few assumptions specific to the Razr M for the above settings:
- It has a minimum light reading of 2 lux even in the darkest of darks (my defy did the same thing - might be a motorola thing)
- The lux reading is approximately accurate (my galaxy note 8 and Razr M give VERY similar readings under the same light sources)
- I topped the lux reading out at 32k (it does read up to 65k) because its around the starting value of direct sunlight, and it also happens to be a nice round number

Just thought I'd share because I think I nailed the auto brightness settings on this device.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-22-09-47-33.png
Views:	206
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2813289  
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Screen Brightness Calc.xlsx - [Click for QR Code] (14.5 KB, 18 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rufus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atison
Old
Thanks Meter 6
How did you get that many step points? I only see 0, 15, 100, 3000 and 8000-infinity.

I am running CM11.2 (4.4.3).

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Nevermind. Found it by long pressing a segment and choosing "split". Not real intuitive but it works.

Rufus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Yeah you have to add in a few extra points with my setup. You could probably skip say every second point and it would work almost as well. But the built in brightness points ramped up to quickly for my liking - far brighter then necessary.

firesice18
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Where exactly do you go to in CM to modify these settings? I can't find them...

FirePsych
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Display&Lights -- Brightness -- click on the settings icon next to the slider

Rufus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
I didn't mention in the first post, but the excel sheet is very customisable...

If you want to lower brightness there are several ways:
1. lower the maximum brightness
2. Increase the curve value (this affects the middle range of the curve mostly)
3. Increase the maximum lux value

Or if you want to increase brightness, just do the opposite of the points above. You know you have good settings when it looks the same always (ie doesn't suddently appear dim or bright). I think my default value are pretty close. I spent some time fine tuning, but like anything, there is always room for improvement

I also did this calculator so I didn't have to run another app in the background to control auto brightness.. save on a few MB of ram anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]