[GUIDE] A tutorial to install the xposed framework on rooted HTC Desire 816 phones

Search This thread

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
I know many of us are quite frustrated with the xposed module installation on the rooted htc phones. The main culprit for it is the busy box application. This application contains all the terminal commands necessary to break the security of the stock mobile system. It is not a virus application though but install those commands and provide you the functionality to execute the framework changes needed for some important apks like Titanium backup, adfree, xposed module, etc etc..

On HTC devices with Kitkat 4.4.2 specifically, due to the (S-ON) security feature, the busybox app will not get installed easily as apk even on the rooted custom roms. It must be installed separately along with the cwm recovery after updating the supersu. That is why many busybox installers lying on the play store are not working/effective anymore.

It could also be due to the busybox files getting installed either in the incorrect path/location (due to change in the internal sd card path in 4.4.2 kitkat versions) or the S-ON feature must be stopping from installing at the right place. Whatever may be the reasons for not working, there is fix for this issue and the steps are outlined below.

DISCLAIMER: Please don't blame me if you corrupt your device by following the below process. I am pretty sure that the below process works flawlessly, but the reason for failing or corrupting your device could be a combination of several existing issues in your phone. So I take no responsibility for your bricked devices.

Now the coolest part:

1. Your HTC desire 816 must be rooted and should have working clockworkmod recovery. Otherwise this trick doesnt work at all.

2. First lets fix the busy box app - Go to playstore and download Busybox on Rails free apk from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.timos.busyboxonrails

3. Open the Busybox on Rails app, select the Operation option as "Cleanup & Install" and method as Recovery (and not "normal"). This will reboot your device into recovery and install the busy box application.

4. Reboot the system. Vola Busy box should have installed correctly now. To confirm that reopen the same Busybox on Rails app and see if the System Status shows up as OK. If it does, your busybox is successfully installed. If not by any chance, try repeating the steps 2, 3 and 4 again. It should work.

Some people install the terminal apk from play store and execute some su commands to verify if the busybox is installed properly. But that is for people having much knowledge on software scripting side of things.

5. Now lets install the xposed module - search for the xposed module apk from here http://xdaforums.com/xposed/framework-xposed-rom-modding-modifying-t1574401 and install it. Remember to download the xposed disabler apk zip as well, just in case if your mobile gets corrupted, you can flash that to bring back your original settings.

6. Install the xposed module and open Framework within the apk

7. Before hitting the Install/update option, change the Installation mode from defaulted Classical (Write to /system directly) mode to the middle one Recovery (flash zip automatically) mode. Dont change anything else in the settings.

8. Now hit Install/update

9. Phone will reboot the system into recovery mode, install the xposed module.

10. Reboot the phone and Volaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the xposed framework in your mobile, which opens the endless opportunities to tweak your mobile.

Hit the thanks button if I have helped you in any way.

This method might works on all HTC models with S-ON security feature and 4.4.2 android Kitkat version, but have not tested it myself though. However, my friend did say it worked on HTC one latest model. Dont blame me if it doesn't by any chance.

Last edited:

heppojo

Mar 21, 2011
Amman
Xposed

I know many of us are quite frustrated with the xposed module installation on the rooted htc phones. The main culprit for it is the busy box application. This application contains all the terminal commands necessary to break the security of the stock mobile system. It is not a virus application though but install those commands and provide you the functionality to execute the framework changes needed for some important apks like Titanium backup, adfree, xposed module, etc etc..

On HTC devices with Kitkat 4.4.2 specifically, due to the (S-ON) security feature, the busybox app will not get installed easily as apk even on the rooted custom roms. It must be installed separately along with the cwm recovery after updating the supersu. That is why many busybox installers lying on the play store are not working/effective anymore, mainly because of the files getting installed either in the incorrect path/location (due to change in the internal sd card path in 4.4.2 kitkat versions) or the S-ON feature must be stopping from installing at the right place. Whatever may be the reasons for not working, there is fix for this issue and the steps are outlined below.

DISCLAIMER: Please don't blame me if you corrupt your device by following the below process. I am pretty sure that the below process works flawlessly, but the reason for failing or corrupting your device could be a combination of several existing issues in your phone. So I take no responsibility for your bricked devices.

Now the coolest part:

1. Your HTC desire 816 must be rooted and should have working clockworkmod recovery. Otherwise this trick doesnt work at all.

2. First lets fix the busy box app - Go to playstore and download Busybox on Rails free apk from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.timos.busyboxonrails

3. Open the Busybox on Rails app, select the Operation option as "Cleanup & Install" and method as Recovery (and not "normal"). This will reboot your device into recovery and install the busy box application.

4. Reboot the system. Vola Busy box should have installed correctly now. To confirm that reopen the same Busybox on Rails app and see if the System Status shows up as OK. If it does, your busybox is successfully installed. If not by any chance, try repeating the steps 2, 3 and 4 again. It should work.

Some people install the terminal apk from play store and execute some su commands to verify if the busybox is installed properly. But that is for people having much knowledge on software scripting side of things.

5. Now lets install the xposed module - search for the xposed module apk from here http://xdaforums.com/xposed/framework-xposed-rom-modding-modifying-t1574401 and install it. Remember to download the xposed disabler apk zip as well, just in case if your mobile gets corrupted, you can flash that to bring back your original settings.

7. Before hitting the Install/update option, change the Installation mode from defaulted Classical (Write to /system directly) mode to the middle one Recovery (flash zip automatically) mode. Dont change anything else in the settings.

10. Reboot the phone and Volaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the xposed framework in your mobile, which opens the endless opportunities to tweak your mobile.

This method might works on all HTC models with S-ON security feature and 4.4.2 android Kitkat version, but have not tested it myself though. However, my friend did say it worked on HTC one latest model. Dont blame me if it doesn't by any chance.

Sir,
Please advice what is the advantages for installing this?
is this will solve link2sd problem?

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
Sir,

The only advantage of installing busybox and xposed installer is to open up endless opportunities of tweaking your mobile to look and behave the way you want (in most cases). Also some finest apps like titanium backup, and others etc use these busy box services too.

The link2sd app may or may not work and in my view it is totally unrelated. I havent tried that much, so cannot comment much on that I am afraid.

Last edited:
Reactions: tanishchopra

emompong

Jan 25, 2012
LUCENA CITY
Sir,

I have tried and it worked.

The only advantage of installing busybox and xposed installer is to open up endless opportunities of tweaking your mobile to look and behave the way you want (in most cases). Also some finest apps like titanium backup, and others etc use these busy box services too.

The link2sd app may or may not work and in my view it is totally unrelated. I havent tried that much, so cannot comment much on that I am afraid.

Lnk2Sd is somehow useful for users with partition, very useful for low internal memory devices. Though a high quality SD card is necessary. Thanks to this tutorial. CONFIRMED WORKING for Xposed Framework.

s_skizzle

Feb 12, 2007
Huge thanks for this. Got xposed working on my phone - running 4.4.2 with S-on / boot loader unlocked from HTC

Sent from my HTC_D816x using XDA Free mobile app

sonnu

May 29, 2014
This is a off topic Que , but I require urgent help ..
I haven't rooted my device nor did I do any trick with it , but now my device is showing TAMPERED on hboot menu .. is this means my warranty is void .. how that can happen with even connecting my phone to pc.. can I suggest any way of removing it or unlocking my bootloader other than HTC Dev site, or any way to s off it . .. warranty issues

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using XDA Free mobile app

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
I haven't rooted my device nor did I do any trick with it , but now my device is showing TAMPERED on hboot menu .. is this means my warranty is void .. how that can happen with even connecting my phone to pc.. can I suggest any way of removing it or unlocking my bootloader other than HTC Dev site, or any way to s off it . .. warranty issues

It is very unusual to see that happen without you connecting to pc and trying to unlock the bootloader from HTC dev site. This was first time hearing that this can happen without trying to root or alter the mobiles internal system.

Anyways, to unlock bootloader, you have to go via HTC site and there is no other alternative as of now. The moment you unlock your bootloader, you will see that TAMPERED message in the hboot. If you are also receiving the red text while booting HTC that "This device has been tampered/altered and is development purposes only.... blah blah blah message", then definitely it has been unlocked bootloader.

May be your phone is a unlocked version, which requires the vendor to unlock the bootloader first and then have to unlock the service carrier. In this case you would get that message for sure, without you having to do anything. This way you will not have manufacture warranty, but will have the vendor warranty. Check with the place where you bought that piece.

Btw, if you find out that it has already been unlocked, then you might as well can root it as it makes your piece worth buying. All the best.

Reactions: Victrlumumba

smartzac

Aug 22, 2011
Hi, already follow the guides and steps given and now how can I know xposed working on my phone? What should I do next?

vbrsekhar

Nov 25, 2008
Wellington
Yeah some HTC 816 devices have the problem with busy box installation and that is why xposed framework doesn't work immediately after rooting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

On HTC devices with Kitkat 4.4.2 specifically, due to the (S-ON) security feature, the busybox app will not get installed easily as apk even on the rooted custom roms. It must be installed separately along with the cwm recovery after updating the supersu. That is why many busybox installers lying on the play store are not working/effective anymore.

It could also be due to the busybox files getting installed either in the incorrect path/location (due to change in the internal sd card path in 4.4.2 kitkat versions) or the S-ON feature must be stopping from installing at the right place. Whatever may be the reasons for not working, there is fix for this issue and the steps are outlined below.

Now the coolest part:

Sir,

It is very unusual to see that happen without you connecting to pc and trying to unlock the bootloader from HTC dev site. This was first time hearing that this can happen without trying to root or alter the mobiles internal system.

Anyways, to unlock bootloader, you have to go via HTC site and there is no other alternative as of now. The moment you unlock your bootloader, you will see that TAMPERED message in the hboot. If you are also receiving the red text while booting HTC that "This device has been tampered/altered and is development purposes only.... blah blah blah message", then definitely it has been unlocked bootloader.

May be your phone is a unlocked version, which requires the vendor to unlock the bootloader first and then have to unlock the service carrier. In this case you would get that message for sure, without you having to do anything. This way you will not have manufacture warranty, but will have the vendor warranty. Check with the place where you bought that piece.

Btw, if you find out that it has already been unlocked, then you might as well can root it as it makes your piece worth buying. All the best.
    help plz
    i did all the steps but steel having the missing applets
    plzzzzzz help

I personally had no problem installing it and I didn't have to go through steps 2 , 3 , and 4. I hope that helps
    thank you for the fast replay but would tell me if there is away to fix it

Are you running a custom ROM?