Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,046 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how do i backup my stock recovery?

Tip us?

RENEGAD3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Default how do i backup my stock recovery?

As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGAD3 View Post
As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks
Connect phone to PC, boot into bootloader mode and type fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img that'll just boot the custom recovery as opposed to flashing it, that way you can make a nandroid backup of all partitions including stock recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to BerndM14 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RENEGAD3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Great thanks very much mate
The Following User Says Thank You to RENEGAD3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

an0ther
Old
(Last edited by an0ther; 29th June 2014 at 01:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGAD3 View Post
The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
fastboot boot twrporwhatever.img, then flash supersu
2. Boot phone that has stock recovery
3. adb shell
4. su "watch your phone to grant root adb access if you haven't ever done it"
5. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]