My thoughts on the pebble smart watch

Search This thread

SNNTEC

May 26, 2012
snntec.blogspot.com
**Pebble smart watch review**

Decided to snatch up a pebble smart watch, and give my take on the device. Now i've had the galaxy gear(first generation) smart watch before, and was overall not happy as an early adopter of that particular device, which gave me a fresh perspective when experiencing the pebble. My most beloved things about the pebble is the battery life, waterproofing, and always on display. Unlike the galaxy gear which has to be constantly awaken to see the time, or else the battery would be even worse than what it is, the e-paper display on the pebble drains very lil energy, which will last you through the week. Comes standard with music control tools, alarms setting, and some stock watch faces. Which you can add more through the pebble companion app. Other remote and utilities apps can be found the companion app, to add functionality to your pebble. And with a price tag of $150, compatible with android and iOS, i'd recommend this smart watch to most, who's looking for an affordable smart watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvsZBfXjyzw

MrShigs

Mar 29, 2014
I've had mine for a while now. It's one of the better options out there. The apps are what makes it great.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
I agree on battery life, waterproofing, and e-ink display on the Pebble. Those were the main reasons I got this instead of another system AND will probably stay with it. I currently go from Monday to Sunday before I charge, though I will hook it up on Friday night sometimes. And it charges fast too!! I do think it's over-priced, as the Steel is WAY over-priced, but I am enjoying it so I guess it wasn't too bad. I tried a couple app's but none really did much for me so I use two watch faces, one analog and one digital, both customized with Canvas. My only complaint is with any of the weather functions. There are only 2 options and neither is what my watch uses so they are never in sync. The Glance app I found difficult to use, though everyone else swears by it. I'm trying to see if I'm using it wrong but I don't think so.

Reactions: cahiatt

Belkiolle

Jun 6, 2011
I agree on battery life, waterproofing, and e-ink display on the Pebble. Those were the main reasons I got this instead of another system AND will probably stay with it. I currently go from Monday to Sunday before I charge, though I will hook it up on Friday night sometimes. And it charges fast too!! I do think it's over-priced, as the Steel is WAY over-priced, but I am enjoying it so I guess it wasn't too bad. I tried a couple app's but none really did much for me so I use two watch faces, one analog and one digital, both customized with Canvas. My only complaint is with any of the weather functions. There are only 2 options and neither is what my watch uses so they are never in sync. The Glance app I found difficult to use, though everyone else swears by it. I'm trying to see if I'm using it wrong but I don't think so.

What do you find difficult about Glance? Maybe I can walk you through it. Set up is kind of meh and less than intuitive but once it is set up it's easy to use.

Dr.69

Jan 7, 2012
I love the Pebble for the most part. I can agree that the hardware is great. The battery life, the waterproofing and the screen are amazing. But the software is just a pain in the butt. I'm getting constant disconnections, the app FC's sometimes and the store is just unusable because it is slow. Also the lack of RTL support out of the box is a downer too.

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
What do you find difficult about Glance? Maybe I can walk you through it. Set up is kind of meh and less than intuitive but once it is set up it's easy to use.

I'm put off that I have to use my watch to see the changes and that it's, as you say, kind of "meh". Canvas I can see the changes on my watch before I commit, which is kinda nice. Plus I am constantly getting weather issues on it. Canvas isn't much better but it's noticeable. Weather is my biggest complaint with the Pebble. Why it just doesn't emulate whatever I have on my phone I don't know!

meplur

Jan 18, 2011
I'm put off that I have to use my watch to see the changes and that it's, as you say, kind of "meh". Canvas I can see the changes on my watch before I commit, which is kinda nice. Plus I am constantly getting weather issues on it. Canvas isn't much better but it's noticeable. Weather is my biggest complaint with the Pebble. Why it just doesn't emulate whatever I have on my phone I don't know!

I tried Canvas and Glance, and preferred Canvas. As you mentioned, the ability to see the changes before sending them to the Pebble is great. I also like the ability to install it as a watch face as opposed to an app.

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
I tried Canvas and Glance, and preferred Canvas. As you mentioned, the ability to see the changes before sending them to the Pebble is great. I also like the ability to install it as a watch face as opposed to an app.

I agree. What I'm looking for now is an accurate weather app that is closer to what my phone is showing. Temp is ALWAYS off by 5 or 10 degrees. With only two wx apps to choose from its not that good. Accuweather is better.

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
Kind of off topic but I"m thinking of using Tasker. There is Tasker and Pebble Tasker. Are those two different apps? Do the work together? Separately?

pebblemike

Aug 1, 2014
Oakland
pebblemike.com
I am also happy with up to 7 day battery life. And screening calls, emails, and text without pulling out the phone. Since I travel a lot, there are useful travel related watch apps. Finally, I can write my own Pebble app if I need it to do something I want. Which I've done, and published some useful ones on the Pebble App store under the name mikebikemusic. None of them require an android app.

Reactions: aj_vogtman

if4ct0r

Nov 19, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I've gotten to ~6 days at a stretch where I had the activity tracker disabled, Shake to light disabled, and didn't use it much other than just as a watch. With activity tracker on & using it moderately for music controls, fitness tracking & alarms I can get upto 3 days which is good enough :)

The 7 day usage that is advertised should pretty much be for optimized low-activity usage.

whmcal

Jul 18, 2008
Maybe it's the activity tracker eating your battery. I don't have that but my battery lasts sometimes up to 10 days...with vibration for notifications. If I use music frequently in rife to work, it will last 7 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am also happy with up to 7 day battery life. And screening calls, emails, and text without pulling out the phone. Since I travel a lot, there are useful travel related watch apps. Finally, I can write my own Pebble app if I need it to do something I want. Which I've done, and published some useful ones on the Pebble App store under the name mikebikemusic. None of them require an android app.