FORUMS

Top Forum Discussions

Installing busybox

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 12
 
By kylgore, Junior Member on 21st June 2014, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
To install busybox on a rooted gear 2, turn root on (sdb root on) and then push this package (download.tizen.org/snapshots/2.3-wearable/common/tizen-2.3-wearable_20140605.1/repos/tizen/armv7l/packages/armv7l/busybox-1.17.1-2.3.armv7l.rpm) to the device. Install the package (from a sdb shell on the watch) by typing "rpm -i busybox-1.17.1-2.3.armv7l.rpm".

This gets you VI (a CLI text editor) on the device. Very useful when editing xml and config files.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kylgore For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
22nd June 2014, 01:39 AM |#2  
gav83collins's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bunbury-Western Australia
Thanks Meter: 1,064
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylgore

To install busybox on a rooted gear 2, turn root on (sdb root on) and then push this package (download.tizen.org/snapshots/2.3-wearable/common/tizen-2.3-wearable_20140605.1/repos/tizen/armv7l/packages/armv7l/busybox-1.17.1-2.3.armv7l.rpm) to the device. Install the package (from a sdb shell on the watch) by typing "rpm -i busybox-1.17.1-2.3.armv7l.rpm".

This gets you VI (a CLI text editor) on the device. Very useful when editing xml and config files.

Awesome. Thanks jumping straight on it
25th June 2014, 11:17 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 108
 
More
This is very good. Thanks.

But I wonder; do we have a use for Busybox on the Gear 2 yet ?

Thx.
26th June 2014, 12:10 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Hi, when I try any install, I get "installing package busybox-1.17.1-2.3.armv71 needs 188KB on the / filesystem"
I've tried putting the package on the "SD card" (storage for music, pictures etc.) but still nothing

You guys know any solutions?
28th June 2014, 03:40 PM |#5  
Member
Flag Annapolis
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Make sure root is on and that you mount the filesystem r/w (then be sure to mount r/o after)

sdb root on
sdb shell mount -o remount,rw /

for read-only------>

sdb shell mount -o remount,ro /
28th June 2014, 10:22 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 108
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr

This is very good. Thanks.

But I wonder; do we have a use for Busybox on the Gear 2 yet ?

Thx.

I'm serious: do we have a use for Busybox on Gear 2 ?
thx.
28th June 2014, 10:50 PM |#7  
Member
Flag Annapolis
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr

I'm serious: do we have a use for Busybox on Gear 2 ?
thx.

I am just tinkering and exploring at this point. Other than that... no not really.
29th June 2014, 04:16 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr

I'm serious: do we have a use for Busybox on Gear 2 ?
thx.

I said this in my initial post. It provides VI. Without VI (or another text editor), there's no way to edit files on the device without a push/pull. Maybe you don't need that, but it's very helpful to me, and I assume to others.
The Following User Says Thank You to kylgore For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes