Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] nexus 7 2013 - started doing random reboots

Tip us?

merkk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Question [Q] nexus 7 2013 - started doing random reboots

Or i guess i should say semi-random as they only seem to happen when i'm using it. Just had it reboot twice in the last 30 minutes or so while i was reading some webpages.

just started doing this over the last few days. The only thing i've changed in that time frame is installing a small system update that was available a few days ago. Build # is KTU84P

This is not rooted or anything.

Is this something common with the latest update?

cburd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nexus 7 Android 4.4.4 rooted random reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkk View Post
Or i guess i should say semi-random as they only seem to happen when i'm using it. Just had it reboot twice in the last 30 minutes or so while i was reading some webpages.

just started doing this over the last few days. The only thing i've changed in that time frame is installing a small system update that was available a few days ago. Build # is KTU84P

I have a similar problem with my rooted device.

Random reboots started with upgrade to Android 4.4.3. They continue with 4.4.4 update.

Please help.

merkk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
I haven't had any reboots since i posted this - i did however change the runtime from dalvik to art

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkk View Post

A factory reset will sometimes clear it up but that will completely wipe your device!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburd View Post
I have a similar problem with my rooted device.

Random reboots started with upgrade to Android 4.4.3. They continue with 4.4.4 update.

Please help.
Not that I don't occasionally use OTA updates but it seems to me that they aren't always as reliable as we might want. The 4.4.4 OTA is one of the few that I've installed lately mostly because it was so small. One option you have is doing a factory reset with TWRP and probably other custom recoveries which will Not wipe your storage. Personally I would fastboot flash the system image (extract it from the factory image), the bootloader and boot image were not updated from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 so the system image is all that is needed. If you're using a custom kernel I would also flash the stock boot.img just to be safe! Or you could flash the factory image. Modify the flash-all.bat file in the factory image by opening it up with editpad lite, notepad or whatever you use and remove the -w from the text so that it won't flash the userdata.img which wipes your device.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1191
If stock kernel is crap, replace it. I personally didn't have any issues with the 4.4.3/4 kernel, but the idle battery drain was a little high for a battery so large. Just switched back to franco.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror