Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 51,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q][T599N]How can I edit build.prop to change H --> 4G on BeanStalk

Tip us?

Bebout
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q][T599N]How can I edit build.prop to change H --> 4G on BeanStalk

I understand that this is a cosmetic, useless change, but it is for my mothers phone and she just cannot grasp the concept that H is 4G, so I'd like to somehow change the H to 4G for her. This is for the BeanStalk 4.4.2 ROM.

Exothermic
Old
(Last edited by Exothermic; 27th June 2014 at 03:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebout View Post
I understand that this is a cosmetic, useless change, but it is for my mothers phone and she just cannot grasp the concept that H is 4G, so I'd like to somehow change the H to 4G for her. This is for the BeanStalk 4.4.2 ROM.
Um, I believe someone will have to decompile the SystemUI.apk and make an xml file that associated the HSPA singal to the H icon to the 4G icon. I don't have any expertise in it, but I can give it a shot when time permits. I think @tys0n might have a bit more experience in this area/

I came to that understanding from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-hspa-t1633268

Note don't try to use that, it's not meant for our phone, I'll try it for BeanStalk,

Edit: My attempt at trying to replace the icons with 4g just resulted in the top bar just disappearing all together, perhaps someone with more experience can help you out. I'm sure there's a way to do it through the xml files but I can't find anything relevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exothermic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tys0n
Old
(Last edited by tys0n; 29th June 2014 at 03:20 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exothermic View Post
Um, I believe someone will have to decompile the SystemUI.apk and make an xml file that associated the HSPA singal to the H icon to the 4G icon. I don't have any expertise in it, but I can give it a shot when time permits. I think @tys0n might have a bit more experience in this area/

I came to that understanding from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-hspa-t1633268

Note don't try to use that, it's not meant for our phone, I'll try it for BeanStalk,

Edit: My attempt at trying to replace the icons with 4g just resulted in the top bar just disappearing all together, perhaps someone with more experience can help you out. I'm sure there's a way to do it through the xml files but I can't find anything relevant.
An easy way would be to push the SystemUI.apk from "/system/priv-app/" to your computer.
Unzip it, go to "/res/drawable-hdpi/" and simply switch names of the H/4G icons, or LTE icons.
Open original SystemUI.apk again but without unzip, then just drag all renamed icons in there and overwrite the old ones.
This will at least change the icons in statusbar to show 4G or LTE instead of H.

Took me about five minutes, now it says LTE.
The Following User Says Thank You to tys0n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Exothermic
Old
Thanks Meter 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys0n View Post
An easy way would be to push the SystemUI.apk from "/system/priv-app/" to your computer.
Unzip it, go to "/res/drawable-hdpi/" and simply switch names of the H/4G icons, or LTE icons.
Open original SystemUI.apk again but without unzip, then just drag all renamed icons in there and overwrite the old ones.
This will at least change the icons in statusbar to show 4G or LTE instead of H.

Took me about five minutes, now it says LTE.
I decompiled and recompiled it using andriod apktool or android multitool.

It's possible to unzip the files using winrar or 7z?

tys0n
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exothermic View Post
I decompiled and recompiled it using andriod apktool or android multitool.

It's possible to unzip the files using winrar or 7z?
Yes. Just like any other archive.
Switch names of the icons in the unzipped folder, open the unzipped SystemUI.apk and drag them in there to update the changes.
I pushed it back while I was in twrp and chmod to 0644.
I think this works as long as nothing is being removed or added