Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The difference between "Official" and "Custom" device status was S-Health.

Tip us?

primetechv2
Old
(Last edited by primetechv2; 28th June 2014 at 07:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Default The difference between "Official" and "Custom" device status was S-Health.

I was freaking out over being unable to get my S5 to show as "Official" in its device status (wanted to update, but was told I couldn't) .Out of paranoia, I copied over all my Downloads to my SD card and removed it, deleted any root apps and even cleaned it up using SuperSU. And I rebooted a lot. After I finished, I still saw

Device Status: Custom

Then, I remembered the S-Health bug. Since i like S-Health, I had switched it over recently from being a System app to being a User one (because S-Health on a rooted device was, well, broken). So I re-rooted with SuperSU, then re-opened Android Tuner Free and moved S-Health back from being a User app to being a System one again.

Device Status: Official

I didn't even have to unroot, remove the SU app, or reboot it; I just checked back in Settings and it was "fixed."

verse187
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P
If I Helped Just Hit The "Thanks" Button

primetechv2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by verse187 View Post
Really and it have you official from what I know custom comes out because the phone is rooted anybody correct if im wrong

Sent from my SM-G900P
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25435

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. During my OTA update attempts, I had root and it showed as "Official" for a while. Then when I removed SuperSU fully (including the su binaries, making it unrooted), my next attempt to install the update proved futile.

Somehow, when I removed the su binaries with SuperSU, it re-registered my device as Custom. I don't know how, because SuperSU had been specifically told to not attempt to retain itself during OTA updates...
You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

primetechv2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123 View Post
You did not reinstall stock recovery. You cannot get OTAs if you have a custom recovery still.
I never actually installed a custom recovery, though. I did eventually reinstall the fully stock firmware with Kies and then performed the upgrade, something I'm going to guess wouldn't be possible otherwise... But to be specific, I never had anything installed except got XPosed mods and a moved S Health to get it functioning again.

But I'm really sad that, for whatever reason, my device status kept flickering between Official and Custom, especially when it chose Custom after I disabled root.