Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,341 Members 48,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS Quality

Tip us?

Moozh1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] GPS Quality

I am trying to decide between the m8 and the lg g3 for my next phone. I am coming from a galaxy s3. I use the gps on my phone quite often for work. How is the accuracy, signal lock, lock on time, etc of the gps on the m8? On my galaxy s3, it was pretty solid. I could get locks in 10 seconds or less and would be accurate within 10-20 feet. Almost never lost a signal unless going through a tunnel. For those that use their phone gps several times per week, how does the m8 compare?

Thanks in advance

tommy_riley
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Had my M8 since May 9th, have yet to see signal lost and I use GPS on average of 3 times a day

Sent from a payphone
The Following User Says Thank You to tommy_riley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,979
From inside my house, locked on GPS in 5 seconds, accurate to 12 feet. (Actually, that's pretty good even with the AGPS. )

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

enzeem2010
Old
Thanks Meter 5
The only trouble I ever have with it may be more related to my Jaybird Bluebuds
X Bluetooth headphones not giving me turn by turn directions when I near my destination... without those headphones, or with wired headphones, GPS is great.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
The Following User Says Thank You to enzeem2010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BrianBaker
Old
Thanks Meter 884
i use my M8 for navigation 10 hours a day 6 days a week non stop..i occasionally get a GPS Signal lost alert once every 3 weeks..I cover a very large territory than most people(north FL-Jacksonville to The Keys weekly)Other than that its been great.
<<I was a Victim of Apple patent #5,946,647>>
Rom:Stock-Unlocked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianBaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andrew149
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Best GPS I've used out of all 20 android phones I've owned.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Droid 1,Apple Iphone 4,Samsung Captivate,Motorola Atrix,Samsung Galaxy s2,Apple Iphone 4s,Samsung Galaxy s3,HTC One X+, Asus Nexus 7 2012,Samsung Galaxy Note 2,Samsung Galaxy S4,Nexus 5,Note 3

Current Devices-Nexus 7 2013, HTC One M8.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew149 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scott500
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I use it for running with mapmyrun all the time. It's been flawless... never had an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to scott500 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

liquidaluminum
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
From inside my house, locked on GPS in 5 seconds, accurate to 12 feet. (Actually, that's pretty good even with the AGPS. )
I was just browsing this thread while looking for info on getting the files to unlock the bootloader on my new M8. I wanted you to know that I gave you thanks, because of the fact that you don't accept personal donations, but instead recommended that people donate to a charity of your choosing. The world could use more people like you.

The Following User Says Thank You to liquidaluminum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]