FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Dual Networks? Use CDMA & GSM simultaneously?

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By x86Daddy, Junior Member on 25th June 2014, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I bought a used XT897, did the SIM mod, and run it with AT&T, a GSM/UMTS provider. I'm wondering if I can *also* activate it with a Sprint MVNO like FreedomPop or Ting and somehow use both services alternately / at the same time, i.e. like Chinese phones with dual SIM slots. Has anyone explored this?

I'm currently running a 4.2 version of Cyanogenmod, and they split their distribution into separate UMTS and CDMA builds, so I'm guessing I'd either have to alternate between OS backups, or I'd have to simply switch to another distro / the orginal Sprint 4.1.2 Android...
The Following User Says Thank You to x86Daddy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift x86Daddy Ad-Free

30th June 2014, 12:59 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by x86Daddy

I bought a used XT897, did the SIM mod, and run it with AT&T, a GSM/UMTS provider. I'm wondering if I can *also* activate it with a Sprint MVNO like FreedomPop or Ting and somehow use both services alternately / at the same time, i.e. like Chinese phones with dual SIM slots. Has anyone explored this?

I'm currently running a 4.2 version of Cyanogenmod, and they split their distribution into separate UMTS and CDMA builds, so I'm guessing I'd either have to alternate between OS backups, or I'd have to simply switch to another distro / the orginal Sprint 4.1.2 Android...

bump for interest
9th October 2016, 10:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I actually have exactly the same question.

I tried to ask LG/Samsung tech support, but either they really don't have a phone capable of that, or just don't know the answer.

I guess, it may be a matter of software supporting that as some phones (like LG G Flex 2) have radios capable of doing both.
But my feeling the 'stock rom' is only doing it in 'roaming' mode, when original provider can still get some money for the calls.

I like RingPlus and Truphone but I hate to carry 2 phones at the same time. This really sucks.

Anyone knows the answer to this thread's question?
10th October 2016, 06:21 AM |#4  
Flag TN
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskmda

I actually have exactly the same question.

I tried to ask LG/Samsung tech support, but either they really don't have a phone capable of that, or just don't know the answer.

I guess, it may be a matter of software supporting that as some phones (like LG G Flex 2) have radios capable of doing both.
But my feeling the 'stock rom' is only doing it in 'roaming' mode, when original provider can still get some money for the calls.

I like RingPlus and Truphone but I hate to carry 2 phones at the same time. This really sucks.

Anyone knows the answer to this thread's question?

From my experience, you can only switch between CDMA and GSM modes, so only one provider can be active at a given time. I'm using a SIM-modded Photon Q running CyanogenMod 12.1 on Ting CDMA with a FreedomPop data-only SIM card (using AT&T or T-Mobile signals) inserted. I occasionally switch to GSM to use free data on FreedomPop when traveling, at which point my CDMA phone number is essentially turned off until I switch back to CDMA mode.
My guess is that you'd need a phone with both CDMA and GSM radios that also has dual SIM card slots, which, at least in the U.S., would be difficult to find.
30th October 2016, 02:11 AM |#5  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 278

Donate to Me
More
hi...not possible...power amp is only one and phone is maded only for one sim work.

Not possible
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)