Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 45,290 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Image Retention on new S5?

Tip us?

MattMJB0188
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Question Image Retention on new S5?

Just picked up a new white S5 on Friday. Few days later, I am noticing a burned in bar on the lower half of the screen. I am not sure what to make of this? Could this just be an issue with AMOLED panels? It's not very noticeable unless you look for it, but it is definitely there. Would love some opinions on this.

[IMG][/IMG]

drakester09
Old
Thanks Meter 853
Burn-in (uneven wear to be more accurate) will still happen in any AMOLED device. the technology has improved so it should not appear until quite some time down the road, at least it's supposed to have improved.

Any app that might have kept an static image for a long time there?

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Just picked up a new white S5 on Friday. Few days later, I am noticing a burned in bar on the lower half of the screen. I am not sure what to make of this? Could this just be an issue with AMOLED panels? It's not very noticeable unless you look for it, but it is definitely there. Would love some opinions on this.

Well before venturing ideas, I'd like to get a good idea of what you are seeing. I'm sure that it is glaringly obvious to you since you know it's there now.. but your photos are not close ups or high res.. and you didn't circle the area or describe it in detail. Can you point it out or describe it better?

It might be exactly as the poster above suggests or I can think of three or four other possible causes depending on what the artifact looks like.