[Q] UK D855 model overheating?

Search This thread

jusumgeezer

Mar 18, 2009
Hi.
I've had the D855 model from 3UK since Thursday I am noticing that the phone gets very hot at the top on the back around the camera and button area. This is not even through particularly heavy use either. I've not ran games or watched any video on it yet. Whilst typing this post for example with no other apps open I can feel this area is really hot.
I've had other phones that have gotten warm after gaming etc. But this is bloody ridiculous
I have also just switched to ART & after the phone rebooted there was 200 apps to optimise & the handset was burning up.
Doesn't seem to be coming from the battery though which seems to be lower down.
Anyone else had this problem?

GoldfishTX

Jan 8, 2012
Glasgow
I haven't had this issue at all, but I haven't loaded it up with a bunch of stuff yet. It sounds like you have a runaway program of some sort. I have used my phone for very long periods of time without interruption and haven't experienced any heat that's more than my Note 3. I'd unload everything and add things one at a time, or check your memory usage and see if you have anything that's taking far more than it should.

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
My phone gets warm in that area but nothing that has concerned me yet, but it's usually when I have had the screen on for a lengthy period of time.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

jusumgeezer

Mar 18, 2009
I've not really loaded it up with apps. Just google stuff, bbci player, Chromecast (not working) Im gonna try removing stuff & see if it makes any diference .Screen brightness is set to 40% auto brightness ticked.
Is there a recommended app to monitor rogue apps or wakelocks?
I've also just had it charging for about 2 hours on the official plug & its red hot again.

Jan 4, 2013
I've not really loaded it up with apps. Just google stuff, bbci player, Chromecast (not working) Im gonna try removing stuff & see if it makes any diference .Screen brightness is set to 40% auto brightness ticked.
Is there a recommended app to monitor rogue apps or wakelocks?
I've also just had it charging for about 2 hours on the official plug & its red hot again.

BetterBatteryStats is good to monitor wakelocks ect..... debloating you're phone should help a bit too, I made a list of things i've done away with if it helps you :)

Find it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2800293

sure there will be more than that that can be removed, hopefully others will test and contribute soon :) It should help you get a good start tho. Good Luck

saxophone101

Same issue but with US T-Mobile version

Hi.
I've had the D855 model from 3UK since Thursday I am noticing that the phone gets very hot at the top on the back around the camera and button area. This is not even through particularly heavy use either. I've not ran games or watched any video on it yet. Whilst typing this post for example with no other apps open I can feel this area is really hot.
I've had other phones that have gotten warm after gaming etc. But this is bloody ridiculous
I have also just switched to ART & after the phone rebooted there was 200 apps to optimise & the handset was burning up.

Hello, I am having exactly the same issues you described. It happens just out of the blue. The phone starts getting superhot until the battery is drained. If I try to charge it, it does not get charged. It has happened to me randomly.

Did you find the cause for your troubles?

copolii

Aug 26, 2006
Vancouver BC
mahram.ca
Hi.

I've had this exact issue too ... and for those wondering just how hot it gets, it's in the rough area of "wtf" degrees. I've lost 85% of my battery in 3 hours. It normally happens when I'm not charging and on WiFi, but what I've noticed is that the 3G/4G/LTE (whatever radio connection I have at the time) starts turning on. Now if it was an App misbehaving, I doubt an App would have the ability to bypass WiFi and use the data connection.

I'm about to do a full wipe and see if that fixes it.
85pct3hrs.jpg

g3battery.png

... and as I was writing this post, I noticed the damn thing rebooting itself. LG makes great hardware, but their software just sucks. Why won't they unlock the damn bootloaders so I can put CMMod on it or something that doesn't suck?

Last edited:

hamo2719

Nov 9, 2014
Overheating

im having the same issue its getting hot for no reason did you fix this issue

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

did you comeup with any fix cause i'm sick and tired of this issue

mjb152

Sep 13, 2013
I've had this twice both caused by different ota updates. A full wipe and install fixed for me. Now I'm in 10m, no over heating and better life is much much better

mjb152

Sep 13, 2013
To further my last comment, if you've hardly got anything installed, then do a quick backup and then install something like 10m (which world perfectly for me) and do a full flash wiping everything.
If I didn't do that, then it got so hot then I couldn't keep the phone in my pocket and had to turn it off !! The heat comes from very close to the volume buttons, and it worried me how hot it was getting.

jammychap

Jan 16, 2014
Milton Keynes
Mine is burning up in use or on charge, i just checked temps with cpu z and temps were at 81c, 79c, 75,c
81c, etc etcvery warm indeed, yes i have a lot of apps installed and i did have a few running at the time but Jeezz this thing is like a portable radiator, i have a case on it with the quick circle cover but it's the slim model that replaces the rear part of the original case so not packed inside extra plastics, ive never had such a hot phone.

I have tried a few things to try and tackle the problems but with no joy, i'm also constantly running out of space on the internal memory despite moving all the movable apps to Ex SD card, my phone is routed and running fulmics 5.1 rom

leohk23

Apr 10, 2012
Same here, using D855 from Hong Kong, I have already done a factory reset/wipe.
Unmounting the SD card does help a bit in my case, still, it does not solve the problem.
As long as I turn on the screen and make some touches, it will start overheating for no reason.

jazzl

Jul 4, 2011
Same for me. When I watch 3d sbs 180 videos, after around 25 mins the phone has given a warning and then shortly afterwards shut itself down.
I replaced the circle case with a more common style back cover that I bought from aliexpress and put a new battery into it, but the problem remains.
10M is an earlier android built from 2014, right? Will the problem be solved if downgrading? I wouldn´t mind really.

Thanks

jazzl

Jul 4, 2011
Same for me. When I watch 3d sbs 180 videos, after around 25 mins the phone has given a warning and then shortly afterwards shut itself down.
I replaced the circle case with a more common style back cover that I bought from aliexpress and put a new battery into it, but the problem remains.
10M is an earlier android built from 2014, right? Will the problem be solved if downgrading? I wouldn´t mind really.

Thanks

So, I´ve been trying to downgrade using LGUP. The new version of this keeps telling me that my phone is unknown, and old version gives an error after 4%.
On some of the pages I found about how to do it, it´s saying that I need to change the LGE port to 41 in Windows. When doing that, my windows (10) freezes and I have to reset the computer.

Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong or suggestions to other methods?

Thanks

jazzl

Jul 4, 2011
So, I´ve been trying to downgrade using LGUP. The new version of this keeps telling me that my phone is unknown, and old version gives an error after 4%.
On some of the pages I found about how to do it, it´s saying that I need to change the LGE port to 41 in Windows. When doing that, my windows (10) freezes and I have to reset the computer.

Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong or suggestions to other methods?

Thanks

Allright, I´ve done it!
I used the old 2014 LGupgrader, but instead of running it via a network mounted drive, as I´d done it up till this point, I did it directly from C:/Temp. This was the key to success for me. I had it stuck for a couple of mins at 9 %, but it suddenly continued. This may have to do with the available internal mem. Some ppl say there should be 2 GB free, but I had only 1.51 GB free.
Temp is now 12 C less than before at similar operations.

AlwaysLucky

Oct 2, 2014
The excessive heat has been reported as an issue across all models of the G3. The best solution is to use a thermal pad on the SoC. That helps spread the heat to the metal chassis, reducing your temps from 10-15 degrees Celcius. Get any 0.5mm thick thermal pad, cut it down to 14x14mm, clean both the SoC and the surface on the chassis with alcohol, apply pad and be sure to tighten screws as much as possible without stripping. I've been using this mod on both of my G3's for almost 2 years, and it does not void your warranty. Good luck! :cowboy:

jazzl

Jul 4, 2011
The excessive heat has been reported as an issue across all models of the G3. The best solution is to use a thermal pad on the SoC. That helps spread the heat to the metal chassis, reducing your temps from 10-15 degrees Celcius. Get any 0.5mm thick thermal pad, cut it down to 14x14mm, clean both the SoC and the surface on the chassis with alcohol, apply pad and be sure to tighten screws as much as possible without stripping. I've been using this mod on both of my G3's for almost 2 years, and it does not void your warranty. Good luck! :cowboy:

Do you have a link to such a thermal pad and maybe a link to a vid showing how it´s done?

I was a bit too quick saying that my problems are now solved. I still get much nicer temperature, but VR videos skip frames alot, where they´d go smooth before. I´m wondering if Lollipop is throttled so it won´t get too hot, and does not have the power to play the vids, where Marshmallow pushes the hardware to the max, and then it gets hot.
Would anyone disagree with this?
Also, when did the overheating get introduced? If it´s not there in 10m, maybe there´s a build closer to Marshmallow that will let the hardware work a bit more, without heating too much up.

Ok, I found a pretty decent solution:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g3-problems-517832/

The part about amending the High Temperature Property OFF setting seemed to do the trick. Now VR vids play more smoothly and though it - obviously - gets hotter, it won´t get as hot as with Marshmallow.
With Marshmallow I´d get a warning at 57 C, and then it´d shot down a few mins later. Now, after about the same amount of time using the phone with a VR vid, it shows 49 C, which is acceptable.

Last edited:

AlwaysLucky

Oct 2, 2014
Do you have a link to such a thermal pad and maybe a link to a vid showing how it´s done?

Use this video for disassembly.

And this is an example of a thermal pad you can use.

The heat issue is a hardware design flaw. The issue can be minimized with software, but the only way to truly solve it is a thermal pad or some other way to allow the heat to escape faster. It's easy to do, just take your time and use the right tools.

jazzl

Jul 4, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Allright, thanks. Maybe a dumb q, but how do I recognize the SoC?
    Not a dumb question at all. It's also referred to as the CPU and it's the biggest chip on the logic board. In the video, he shows the chip at 4:08 when he pulls out the logic board. Once you're at that point, you can apply the pad and reassemble.
    It would, but you'll have to pre-smash it with two flat objects before applying. I strongly recommend getting a 0.5mm thick pad instead. A 1mm thick pad will work with a pre-smash, but you risk creating too much of a gap between the antenna contacts, which might cause issues with GPS and WiFi reception.
    Btw, when you apply the pad, do you use thermal paste or just put it on top of the SoC and then close the mobile?
    Would windows cleaner spray (on a cloth) work for alcohol or just some good scotch (whiskey, not tape)? :)

Haha, yes window cleaner with ammonia in it would work fine. It's really not required to clean both surfaces, but it's always good practice when applying thermal paste/pads. :cowboy:

Some people have used thermal paste instead of a pad, but I do not recommend using paste. Paste usually expands after getting hot, which would create a bigger gap, risking antenna connection issues. Paste is also difficult to clean off if you need to send it in for warranty work. The pad is easy to take off. And definitely do not use both. Use either the pad or paste.

That link I sent you in my most recent post had a perfectly sized thermal pad for your needs, and they ship to the UK. I hope it works for you. Also, if any of my posts are helping you out, be sure to click the thanks button. :highfive:

Once you're all finished, I would love to hear the end results. :)
    Done the thanks part now :)
    Looks a bit dangerous. Although I´ve built, modified and disassembled tons of computers, this is another world with tiny tiny things. So you indeed just put the pad there without anything that clips it onto the SoC?
    When you say it´s size is perfect, you´re only talking about how thin it is, right? I still would need to cut it, isn´t that correct?
    Nope. The chip itself is 15x15mm, so that pad is perfect. Use a tool kit like this. You can search eBay or Amazon for 'phone kit' and find many kits like that. That video actually answers all of your clip questions. I strongly recommend doing this mod. I can't imagine not doing this to my G3's. The difference is like night and day. Even the phone will be faster because the kernel doesn't have to throttle down the Mhz as much.
    Nope. The chip itself is 15x15mm, so that pad is perfect. Use a tool kit like this. You can search eBay or Amazon for 'phone kit' and find many kits like that. That video actually answers all of your clip questions. I strongly recommend doing this mod. I can't imagine not doing this to my G3's. The difference is like night and day. Even the phone will be faster because the kernel doesn't have to throttle down the Mhz as much.

Allright, job done! Noticed that my phone when playing 3400x1700 vids over network after I disabled CPU throtling went up to 80-90 C after 20 mins - and prolly even before that. Didn´t misbehave, but it scared me enough to do the thermal pad mod. Cut the pad out to the right size, and now it´s running no higher than 72 C under these very extreme conditions where the screen is at its max, and bluetooth is on as well.

Thanks again :)