Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,322 Members 50,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recover / Hard Reset

Tip us?

fireTVnews.com
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
I didn't mean to say you can't hose your device by changing settings with an editor, just that I don't think any of them change permissions. so using them to look but not change is pretty safe, IMO, and I'd hate to see folks discouraged from doing so.

I'm surprised that there's not a better onboard recovery on this device, or at least not one anyone's figured out how to get moving. I'dthink it'd be cheaper for Amazon if the devices had a viable recovery, or if there was a solid reset to factory which actually did a full reinstall of the OS.

Interesting about the fastboot mode - when i connect the FTV to my laptop using an A to A cable I don't get a device recognized in fastboot, but it may be down to not having a driver for it.
Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.
The Following User Says Thank You to fireTVnews.com For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alwaysbless
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireTVnews.com View Post
Are you using windows? Try installing the Kindle Fire usb drivers via the Android SDK Manager. Instructions can be found here.
I had to restart my FTV like 5 times before windows recognized it in fastboot mode. With that being said, like fireTVnews mentioned there is not much you can do with the locked bootloader or custom recovery.

{ParanoiA}
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work
HTC ONE M8: S-OFF
ROM: ViperOneM8
RECOVERY: TWRP
KERNEL: Stock

Luxferro
Old
(Last edited by Luxferro; 20th June 2014 at 02:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by {ParanoiA} View Post
Someone mentioned in the ota links thread that the official ota could be side loaded. Does anyone know how to do it? I tried but couldn't get it to work
I'd like to know what that person was referring to as well.

For other devices you have to be booted into recovery, and pick the sideload option before you can sent the update with adb sideload update.zip. FireTV update has no such options, and as far as I know can only installs updates from /cache/name_of_ota_update.bin, which is only writable by root, and is of no use when you can't boot the rom. Also the stock recovery doesn't seem to respond to any adb commands, either by A to A usb cable, or over IP address.

jljaries42@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Default Debricked with recovery mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrascal View Post
Anyone have the steps to take to preform a hard reset of fix a non booting device?

I am stuck on the amazon Fire TV part where the boot animation is doing nothing. Can't get past this screen and have been stuck for the last 10 minutes.
Recovery MODE might help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2799779