Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No reactivation lock for T-mobile s5?

Tip us?

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Default No reactivation lock for T-mobile s5?

I can't find it anywhere in the settings. Is this a T-Mobile only thing? I'm fairly certain the AT&T and Verizon version have this feature.
Sent from my iPhone 4

aooga
Old
(Last edited by aooga; 30th June 2014 at 08:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
I can't find it anywhere in the settings. Is this a T-Mobile only thing? I'm fairly certain the AT&T and Verizon version have this feature.
Only Verizon and US cellular.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...axy-S5_id54826

EDIT: you can enable it if you're rooted by editing a file in the system/csc folder.

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Only Verizon and US cellular.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...axy-S5_id54826

EDIT: you can enable it if you're rooted by editing a file in the system/csc folder.
Thank you for this but I went through every file in there and couldn't find anything for reactivation lock. I was however, able to enable the change sim notification. Any idea what file it is in?
Sent from my iPhone 4

aooga
Old
(Last edited by aooga; 1st July 2014 at 05:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
Thank you for this but I went through every file in there and couldn't find anything for reactivation lock. I was however, able to enable the change sim notification. Any idea what file it is in?
Try system/CSC/features.xml EDIT: This might not be what you're looking for, but it's something. Sorry I guess I was wrong in saying that it can be enabled by a csc edit.

Change it to this:

Then reboot and you should get this I security.

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
I did that and got the menus enabled now. But that still isn't reactivation lock. I can't find the setting for reactivation lock.
Sent from my iPhone 4

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
I did that and got the menus enabled now. But that still isn't reactivation lock. I can't find the setting for reactivation lock.
It might not be toggled by a csc edit then. Why do you want it in the first place?

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
It might not be toggled by a csc edit then. Why do you want it in the first place?
Well because it's a huge deal in my opinion. If someone steals my phone they can't get back into it even if they wipe it.
Sent from my iPhone 4

aooga
Old
(Last edited by aooga; 1st July 2014 at 06:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 835
Quote:
Well because it's a huge deal in my opinion. If someone steals my phone they can't get back into it even if they wipe it.
If they know how to root it, they can in 2 minutes. Just boot into the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, flash a custom rom, and presto, you're in. If you're already rooted, well, that just makes it laughably easy. Apple's approach is the only really secure one.

seh6183
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 122
I think assuming that a thief would have any understanding of rooting or flashing custom bootloaders would be a little over the top. Out of every single human being that I know only 2 know how to root a phone.
Sent from my iPhone 4

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 249
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone 4

I'm thinking that the part in bold could be your snag.

Seriously though, some carriers are enabling this and some are not. A serious flaw as universal availability of the feature would make it infinitely more effective.

You can enable it yourself by availing yourself to a custom ROM or by editing the properties XML. Once enabled, the menu shows up under Settings > General > Security

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-01-11-37-48.png
Views:	51
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	2827569