Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4 worth upgrading? From ME7 4.2.2

Tip us?

bast525
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137
Default [Q] 4.4 worth upgrading? From ME7 4.2.2

I've avoided upgrading for a long time. I'm still on ME7 but with the MK2 radio rom. I'm on rooted stock 4.2.2 and everything runs fine, phone does everything I need and want, is VERY stable. The only "issue" I have is lag on the homescreen at times, still running Touchwiz. I've tried other launchers but always go back.

So, is it worth the effort to backup, wipe and flash to 4.4 and have to restore and set everything back up? Is there any improvement such as performance or battery life that would make it a must-have? What about SD card issues? I am worried that some of my apps will be broken if they use the SD card and haven't been updated by the developer, or is that a non issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nir36 View Post
lol. microsoft say everything they do is the next generation of things.
that doesn't mean it's a better generation

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Modding your phone involves a lot of risk and not for the faint of heart. If you are satisfied with what you have then you should just stick with it.

sent via safestrap 3.72 and echo v25.1! !
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat

bast525
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Modding your phone involves a lot of risk and not for the faint of heart. If you are satisfied with what you have then you should just stick with it.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly knowledgeable and comfortable with rooting and flashing roms. I've been running custom roms since back when the Droid Incredible first came out. I'm comfortable with ADB and custom recoveries, and played around with Safestrap for a bit.

But yeah, I am satisfied with the phone as is, and haven't felt compelled to upgrade to 4.3 or 4.4. I figured I'd ask, all the same, just in case there was some big improvement in performance or battery life that I'm missing out on.

Now, with Android wear out... that MIGHT compel me to upgrade.
Quote:

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
For what it's worth, I'm fairly knowledgeable and comfortable with rooting and flashing roms. I've been running custom roms since back when the Droid Incredible first came out. I'm comfortable with ADB and custom recoveries, and played around with Safestrap for a bit.

But yeah, I am satisfied with the phone as is, and haven't felt compelled to upgrade to 4.3 or 4.4. I figured I'd ask, all the same, just in case there was some big improvement in performance or battery life that I'm missing out on.

Now, with Android wear out... that MIGHT compel me to upgrade.
You might have answered your own question.

S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat

bast525
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137
Well, yes and no. I won't be buying a Wear device in the immediate future. But what about performance, battery life, etc.? Does KK make the phone run any better?
Quote:

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1260

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
Well, yes and no. I won't be buying a Wear device in the immediate future. But what about performance, battery life, etc.? Does KK make the phone run any better?
I wouldn't say KK actually makes the phone run *better" but there are some improvements. If I were in your shoes I'd probably upgrade but that's just me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]